"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Good Sex In Fiction Award

Each Year Britian's Literary Review comes out with their annual Bad Sex in Fiction award. I think that's a little snobbish, poking fun at those of us who try to spice up our novels and fail. Now Salon Magazine has come up with a counter award and announced their Good Sex Awards.


Says Salon, "Writing well about sex -- one of life's most delightful and important activities -- is difficult, so instead of sneering and sniggering at the authors who get it wrong, why not celebrate the ones who succeed?"

They whittled their list of nominations down to eight. Click the link above to see them and read the excerpt from the winner, NEXT.



And then you might have to get up and walk around, or something. I love well-written sex.

I had planned to post this for Valentine's Day but had connection issues, and some of you may already have seen this in Salon, but I thought I'd go ahead anyway, because writing about sex is the hardest thing to do, yet if done well, is the most rewarding and, more importantly, readers like it.

I have my own nomination.

The sex scene at the end of THE VOYAGE by Philip Caputo is my winner. Do you have one?

6 comments:

Travener said...

There is a great sex scene in SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS. If I ever have to write a real erotic scene, I plan to steal it whole.

Wine and Words said...

Ahhh yes. A good one. And that last line.....whew!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Trav and Annie,
Now you make me want to read it! Too much to read and not enough time....

Jemi Fraser said...

I haven't read any of these yet - I'll have to check them out :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Jemi,
Me neither!

Anthony Duce said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m drawing a blank at the moment, trying to remember the best I’ve read lately, obviously nothing that stuck.