"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, November 11, 2011

Anything For Will

She longed to feel him inside of her again but was beginning to wonder if she ever would. The memories were fading, like the pictures he sent. His helmet was etched with anti-war dogma, but he did what he was told. His letters filled a drawer but held nothing of what he was told, and he wasn’t sending pictures anymore.


Write a flash fiction piece in 55 words, post it, and then let the G-Man who is Mr. Knowitall know. It's easy, it's fun. It's Friday.

My 55 this week is a passage from a work-in-progress that is working it's way back up to the top of the stack. It's been bothering me. I can see it in the corner of my eye, getting dusty on the filing cabinet. Oh, the injustice! I had to bring Will back up on my screen this morning. I have to look him in the eye and decide what to do with him.

TGIF
Peace out

16 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I can see why Will needs your attention. This sounds like a story with emotional undertow. Can't wait to hear what you do with it.

G-Man said...

Yvonne....
Very Powerful...Very Mysterious!
Yes, this one needs to be dusted off.
Excellent 55 My Friend
Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

Brian Miller said...

wow...def evocative...and on today as well when we remember those that served...good stuff

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love it,

how bittersweet.
incredible 55.

Monkey Man said...

Quite mysterious and emotional.

Bubba said...

Thy Will be done, in more ways than one.

anthonynorth said...

Full of power and emotion. An excellent write.

izzy said...

Doing what we are told- and yet we
maintain some of our dogma- I like this keep working on it. Thanks for visiting.

Alice Audrey said...

The best characters are like that. They'll wait for you, but only for so long.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I like the power of what isn't said in this piece. In visual arts, it's referred to as "negative space," but I don't know if we have a word for it among writers. Too bad, because it's what makes a great picture.

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness, you must continue with Will...quite a heavy story here; most excellent 55 ~

Katherine Krige said...

Perhaps always doing what you are told beats one down.

If it is staring at you, that means you are not done with it yet. Give it the time it asks for.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Tricia,
Thanks. That undertow is definitely there.

G-Man,
Thank YOU!!

Brian,
Thank you so much. Glad you liked it.

Cello,
Thanks. Thanks for reading.

Monkey Man,
Thank you, man!

Eric,
Thank you!

Anthony,
Thank you very much. Appreciate it.

Izzy,
Thank you for the encouragement.

Alice,
Yes, I'm afraid that's true. Guess I better get with it. Thanks.

Ann,
That's very interesting. I've heard reference before to "negative space" but didn't realize that's what it is. Maybe it's similar to "white space" referred to in poetry.
Thanks for commenting.

Yellow House,
Thank you for commenting. Yes, I will keep ahold of Will!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Katherine,
Thank you so much for commenting. You're right....if it wasn't any good I think I would've forgotten about it by now. I've gone onto different projects, as common wisdom directs, and now I'm back at the beginning.

Jemi Fraser said...

I can see why this story is pulling at you! Have fun with it :)

magiceye said...

seems to be a very interesting tale ahead!