"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Grab Hold Of Your Writing Life

To close out May (can you believe it?),  I thought I'd share a great post by Pete Morin on how to write fiction that others will want to read. It doesn't hurt that he ends with a poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, one of my favorite "Beat" poets.


To close out May, I thought you'd like to see a picture of our cattle when they were first put out on pasture this spring, where they're supposed to be. It's a little blurry but can still say a thousand words, no?



And one of our plump hens:


My daughter's Corgi rounding one of them up:



And the solar panels at the farm:




To close out May, I'd like to boast that we've planted 140 tomato plants in two days, all by hand, but I don't have a picture of that. Now that the bulk of the planting is done, I hope June affords me time to research my A list for agents, but how do I show you a picture of that? Maybe this Scribbler Award that Tricia O'Brien, one of my oldest blogging buddies, gave me a long time ago will do.



See you all in June!

15 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I know, where does the time fly? I didn't know you owned a farm. That's so exciting to a city slicker like me. My daughter keeps saying when I get rich from writing, she wants a cow! Hah.

Anthony Duce said...

It must be difficult to find the time to write this time of years with the farm. I complain about getting time, and I have much fewer obligations these days, that get in the way.

Deborah said...

I was thinking the same as Anthony - it must be a rich and busy life!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Anne,
My Father owns the farm. I'm just one of the peons! If you have any working farms in your area you should take your daughter for a visit. Most farmers love to talk and visitors are always welcome.

Tony,
It is difficult, nearly impossible, but I wouldn't trade it.

Deborah,
It is indeed. Thanks for stopping by!

Jemi Fraser said...

That's a lot of tomato plants!!!

I enjoyed Pete's post too :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jemi,
Yes. The garden is getting too big. I'm going to need help!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jemi,
Yes. The garden is getting too big. I'm going to need help!

Anonymous said...

Hey Yvonne, thanks for visiting, and for the linkie love.

Farming is like a life-long endurance contest. It never stops, doesn't take a Saturday morning off, never gets full cooperation from Mother Nature, and as soon as one crop is done, another one demands work.

I wrote a song called "My Farm." The first line is "I'm gonna walk around my farm, won't do no work, won't do no harm, won't do my chores, my farm not yours."

The last line is "My farm no more."

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the writing link!

Great pictures. And wow, 140 tomato plants must have been a lot of work!

Elana Johnson said...

Beautiful pictures! Good luck with that many tomatoes! What do you do with them? Canning? Sell to Hogi Yogi? Ha.

And good luck with agent researching too. That can be tricksy sometimes.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Pete,
You're welcome. You deserve it. You must have a farming background! "Won't do no work" will surely lead a farmer to ruin!

Eagle,
It surely was. Thanks for visiting me!

Elana,
We go to a farmer's market. Thank you!

Al said...

You should end up with a nice crop of tomatoes!
I think the most I have ever put out was about 12.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Al!
Good to see you. Twelve would be a much more manageable number, especially when the weeds kick in.

Talli Roland said...

I want to live where you do! Sigh... Happy June!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Talli,
And I you. Guess we have to be content with what we have:) Thanks for commenting!