"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Wake


I met a man at a wake who knows
the highest point in the Great Lakes Basin
is a bluff where water drops nine hundred feet
to the untrespassed river bottom,
where the remains of the last wolverine were found
and where wolves crossed.
Others eat shrimp, drink wine and toast the deceased
and don’t know they don’t know
I’m pinned in place like a butterfly in a classroom
while he takes me into the forest to listen for loons.

I met this man who goes to Isle Royale for the silence
not for the call of the wolf
because in spite of what some say,
they might not be there anymore.
A man who pays attention to words
like a craftsman to the tile cutter slicing through water.
When I talk I feel his eyes
listening, listening.
And I want to go on and on about something
so he'll keep looking, and looking.

Was it the sound of water falling
or the warble of a water bird that infected
his story of kayaking on Lake Superior in a storm?
The cry of the loon is interrupted
by the clap of the skeet outside the yacht club.
They punctuate our conversation like a grammarian.
Shooters send their targets flying across the water
with no mind to the wake inside. Life goes on.
You only ever hit what you aim at.

The first time you hear a loon, you know what it is,
like the first time you meet someone
who could draw a map on a napkin you would follow,
but only the loon in lonely decibel can take you there.


Linked also to The Garden's Tuesday Platform 
as we remember Mary Oliver, Pulitzer Prize winning poet who recently died. From my favorite poem of hers  The Summer Day:  "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

12 comments:

brudberg said...

What a wonderful poem, I love the story it tells, the richness in nature, and most of all I love how you used the sound of the loon... a sound you never forget.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Bjorn. I'm glad you liked it. Aren't loons fascinating?

colleen said...

Something's happenin here, my mind sings. Love can have a lunacy to it. Alignment an unspoken order. All the while there is the loon.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the map drawn on the napkin and that "only the loon...can take you there." Wonderful.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Colleen,
Love is lunacy. Thanks!

Sherry,
Thank you so much.

rallentanda said...

We don't have loons( not of the bird variety at least) down here but the first time you hear a kookaburra you might think you are hallucinating and in need of medical attention:)I will now research the sound of the loon. Enjoyed your poem.

Anmol (HA) said...

Ooh, this is so very beautiful — I l really enjoyed the storytelling and the ensuing natural imagery. The sound of the loon acting as a pivot defines the nature of this conversation. I loved this bit:

"When I talk I feel his eyes
listening, listening.
And I want to go on and on about something
so he'll keep looking, and looking."

Anthony Duce said...

So enjoyed this, the places, the story, and it being on the Great Lakes.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I enjoyed this so much!💞 Especially; "The cry of the loon is interrupted by the clap of the skeet outside the yacht club.They punctuate our conversation like a grammarian."😊

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sanaa,
Thank you for reading and commenting!

Tony,
They are a special place, eh? Thanks!

Ha,
Thanks! And thanks for being such a generous host. I liked this opportunity.

Rall,
Oh! kookaburras. My niece recently moved to Australia and mentioned them. I will have to google the same. Sounds so interesting. Thanks!

Liza said...

Oh how I love this. The call of the loon...so very, wonderfully special. It's like love and heartbreak, joy and angst all bundled together in one searching call. Stunning poem, Yvonne.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Liza,
Thank you so much!! Such a compliment from a writer like yourself warms my heart.