"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Monday, May 31, 2021

Snake....a beginning

Snake climbed the ratline and glassed the ocean. A black rim of land inked the horizon. It was time to make his escape.

He wouldn’t be free until his bond was paid, and he was too young to pass time this way—blisters on his fingers, brine on his lips, and tar under his nails. He’d been wagered into servitude in a high-stakes game. He didn’t blame his father. Everyone had their vices. It amused him that they thought he’d been worth so much.

3 comments:

Liza said...

And an excellent beginning it is! I'm left with so many questions. Who is Snake? What was his life like that he could be gambled away? I am especially struck with the word "amused" which makes me think he has strength in spite of what seems like fairly dire circumstances. It makes me think he'll manage to escape and there will be all sorts of adventures to follow.

I'm curious what this is the beginning of...but even if it's simply a snippet, you got my imagination going!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Lisa!!!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Lisa, this is a short story I've recently started submitting. I'm glad you liked the word "amused'. I too thought it fit his strength of character and the chance he is about to take.