"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Staff Of Life


The wheat has ripened to a golden wave, and the harvest has begun. Wheat is impervious to dry heat. It likes it.  I collect the leavings the harvester missed at the row ends and along the edge of the field, like a gleaner. Nothing should be wasted. The oats are next and then the barley. The grains make beautiful arrangements.

Walking the field at sunset I think of Woody Guthrie and his anthems for this land. I wonder what he would think of the preponderance of gated communities and fences that block the view of our lakeshores, the signs that tell us to keep out and hamper our wanderings. Woody knew that all who wander are not lost. I’m proud that my father always posted signs that said: Hunting Permitted. People were respectful. 

This land is your land
This land is my land
From California to the Blue Ridge Mountains
From the Gulf Stream waters
To the redwood forest,
This land was made for you and me. 

As I was walking along the highway
I saw a sign that said
NO TRESPASSING
But on the back side
It didn’t say nothing
That’s the side for you and me. 

-Woody Guthrie

p.s.
After posting this, I noticed the headline in Poets and Writers: A Lost Novel by Woody Guthrie
Isn't that bizarre??

7 comments:

Elisabeth said...

There's something about the sight of a field of golden wheat that sends my heart a shuddering.

Such a beautiful post here, Yvonne. Thanks.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Elisabeth,
Thank you! Hearts a-shuddering. I love that.

Frances Garrood said...

Oh, for the sight of a sunny golden field! Here, it continues to rain, the wheat is green, and if things don't look up, we are in for a washout of a harvest. But I loved the poem!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Frances,
Thank you so much. I wish we could trade a little sun for rain.

Rob Van De Laak said...

When I first came to this mad land.
and my English was not yet in hand,
I saw a sign upon a wall,
which I did nit understand at all.
It seemed to say that in words I knew,
something for my mind to chew.
Now , you need to know,
English is not my first tongue, No!
I had learn it fast though here,
as another tongue, locals won't bear.

The sign said,"Bread is the staff of life! BUT; This does not mean that the life of the staff is one great loaf!"
Yvonne, I have had suggested to me by Anne Gallagher that you may be able, perhaps even willing, to helpme with my newly found "bump' for poetry. The start of this comment came to me just by looking, not even reading, your post about the wheat. Obviously I need help! (With my brain, that is!:-) ) I can't find an email address, so can you contact me PLEASE?

Rob Van De Laak said...

Gosh durn it, I forgot my copyright on my poetry! AND I saw an error after it was published, In future i will preview first.

Liza said...

All the glory should be ours to see...