"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Time

 I

The Last Snowfall

 

The child playing

in the driveway

while his dad shovels

will remember snow.

 

II


The Mirror

 

The hair that falls out in the shower

is still black.

Why in the mirror is it not?

The face cream claims to lift.

It’ll lift your lids right off your face.

Why in the mirror does it not?

We worry about bills and cancer

and if the car will start 

and the junction in our lifeline.

Put a dimmer switch in the bathroom.

Life is too short to worry about our health.

 

 

III


Gravity

 

The door swings empty. Dust settles.

Flesh accommodates.

The old lady stumbles but she recovers.

I hurt therefore I am.

 

When you crossed the hospital lobby

Did you think to escape?

Pick up your feet.

 

Make a wrong turn and you could come up missing,

walking back at yourself in the elongated mirrors

hung in corners. Don’t breathe.

 

The ventilator hisses and pumps,

tireless machine needing only an outlet.

The incident, unforeseen, took her down

one day before she was to come home,

one from which she could not recover.

 

It’s raining again at the window bed,

steady as the pocket watch ticking unseen.

It paces us through gathering events.

In a place like this

the only time I ever saw my father cry.

 

Out of time. And when was it ours?

Sometimes we can’t go home but would it matter

if we don’t recover?

We get along. Dust settles.

 

 

Three connected to close out the wretched year we call 2020. Inspired by Poets and Writers  to post one more time before the end of the year, this is for the Writers Pantry.


Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you poets and writers!

15 comments:

Thotpurge said...

That is fine writing. It certainly was a horrid year for most, worse for those who suffered great loss. Let us hold on to that little bit of light left and hope next year will be kinder and better...

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thotpurge, Thank you so much. Next year can only be better.

Ron. said...

This is excellent work that just keeps getting better, letter by letter, word, phrase, stanza by stanza. Awesome. My hat is off.

Anthony Duce said...

So enjoyed all three and how well they connected with the events of this trying outrageous, isolated year. So many expectations for a better 2021.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Ron, Gosh, thank you. Thank you so much.

Tony,
Thanks. So glad it connected for you. I was a little disjointed, just like this outrageous year. Happy New Year.

Helen said...

So glad I came to visit your blog this morning, this is an epic poem describing much of what many have endured.
P.S.
Come on in, door's open, fire burning, toddies ready.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen,
Oh! How I wish I could. I have no writerly friends close by anymore. I think we could be famous together! Thank you so much.

indybev said...

Beautiful work, Yvonne. Speaks so well for what this past year has been for many. May the spirit of Christmas bring you blessings!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Hmmm, perhaps I'd better invest in that dimmer switch! Your Gravity piece is so sad, but the snowfall one seems positive. A very strange year; and dreadful, I know, for many. If we couldn't do much else, at least we writers were able to bear witness. It may turn out to be an important contribution, in a future we can't yet see.

Hazel said...

I'm becoming that old lady who stumbles. I'm glad in your words she recovers.

dsnake1 said...

i like what you said in "The Mirror". I think there is really no time to worry about our health. At least that was what i was thinking when i was younger. :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Bev,
Thank you very much and a blessed Christmas to you!

Rosemary,
Thank you. Bearing witness, yes, it's like a responsibility. Merry Christmas.

Dsnake,
Funny, how our perspective changes over time. Thanks for commenting and have a nice Christmas.

rallentanda said...

Avoid mirrors...They make you look older than you are...Best wishes for a better New Year.

Magaly Guerrero said...

"I hurt therefore I am." This line speaks to me in so many different levels. I recognize the truth of it, the reminder that to hurt doesn't mean one is dying but still alive. A very powerful line.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rall,
Yes, thanks. A dimmer switch is my solution!

Magaly
Thank you so much for pointing that out. I think the whole poem came to me on the basis of that one line.