"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Novel Writing, Websites, and Sugar Dragon Angst

Prompted by Poets and Storytellers United to shape words around the phrase "It's Been A Long Time Coming", I immediately thought of the writing process. I'm in the proofreading stage on the editorial calendar for the novel I've worked on since 2012. In between gaps in that calendar, I'm working on a website (another Long-Time-Coming) and trying to turn a couple of short stories into novels. That endeavor began during NaNoWriMo as I attempted to combine two into one but didn't get very far. I've never been an outliner but now I see why some writers prefer that approach. 


On another "Long Time Coming" subject, I've been trying to rid my figure of all those Christmas cookies, cakes, festive punches and bourbon slushes we indulged in. To be honest, this is a lifelong seesaw occurrence for me. This time I'm forcing my family into the Whole 30 plan with me. Wow. I never realized how much sugar "they" sneak into our foods under different names like sucralose and dextrose, even stevia, all the same to our brain. Not just ketchup (which was suspected) but lunch meats, chicken and beef broth, even some mustards have added sweeteners.  We've gotten so used to them, whole foods without added sweeteners seem bland and boring. On the average, Americans consume over 57 pounds a year. No wonder we are notoriously subject to obesity, diabetes, and many other ailments. 


The sugar dragon is a tenacious creature, but we have him in a pen and are about to lead him down the chute to slaughter. Long time coming!


Yet, I think about food all the time. Especially when in the throes of website building and navigating Word's track changes with an editor.  While my experience seemed endless with the dragon of self-doubt always breathing down my neck, I know novelists who've spent twenty plus years on a project. How does one soldier on while slaying the beast in the closet? As Sylvia Plath said, "The worst enemy to creativity is self doubt." 


13 comments:

Penelope Notes said...

Yes … far too much sugar and salt are embedded in daily foods, doing us harm. Your writings from long ago revived make me think of all the writings I have collecting dust first on shelves and then in computer files. Bravo for starting up the work again. I do believe years of persistence leads to completion and publication.

Rajani said...

Processed foods are very problematic...and home cooking from scratch is a lo...t of effort. Somewhere there is a happy middle I hope because that sugar dragon is everywhere :(

Helen said...

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment on the poem to my grandchildren ... I had fun writing it and when I had finished, realized tears were running down my cheeks. They are all grown up today, the words are timeless.

I come from a family of diabetics on my father's side. I was diagnosed in 2016, could not tolerate metformin, vowed to manage it with diet. Which I have. It is exceedingly difficult as you write, to keep on track. I have not had 100% success over the years but hop back on track when I slip.

It is brutally cold in Bend Oregon, with 4" on snow on the ground. I miss daily walks which helps with the good old A1c.

Cheers,
Helen

Anthony Duce said...

For some reason after reading your post I’m encouraged as I think about the years now, I have been working on a graphic novel that isn’t finished yet due mostly to life’s obstacles and joys and procrastination.
I don’t have the weight issues, as walking and exercising are easy ways to procrastinate. The sugar issue is a national crime.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Fresh foods! (Ah, if only I would take my own advice more often. But when it comes to convenience, snap-frozen is a good compromise.)

colleen said...

Good luck on your goals. You got this!

Jim said...

Lots of "irons in the fire" aren't there. Always is here, sounds like there also. In another month NaNoWriMo will be starting, I enjoy that and have been writing for it since 2015. Eating? The pounds accumulate fairly quickly don't they. I've lost about 18 pounds in the last six months but a couple have been showing up again.
..

Marja said...

Oh all these processed foods. We eat a lot from the garden but even though when eating bread and cheese etc will do the job of piling on the kg. For me a lifetime struggle, just as self-doubt. I hope you succeed in all your endeavors but I know you will :)

Rommy said...

LOL, I feel that way about my writing projects too.

jossina said...

Many of life's project take along time coming. I too resonate for many with you. Nice writeup

purplepeninportland.com said...

Feel the same way about my writing. As far as the sugar, it is out of control.
My sister is a diabetic, and has a difficult time staying away from sweets.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks everyone. Each and all, the kind words are much appreciated. And needed on these cold gray mornings. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

It's true - all that hidden sugar, and processed foods, "convenience" foods, replacing the whole foods our grandparents ate, have impacted our health big time. I struggle with it too...........