"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Monday, February 20, 2023

The Remaindered Novelist

                                                                        

                                The wastebasket is the writer’s best friend.                                                                                                                                            - Isaac Singer

                                                   Remaindered, v: (to dispose of a book left unsold at a reduced price)


The Remaindered Novelist

 

Once had a debut named Cannon

spectacularly reviewed

bound in calfskin and vellum.

 

But a blogger was unkind

And a brushfire engulfed him.

Now he’s remaindered

a sale table has-been.

 

Seagulls caw and scavenge

outside his writer’s retreat

on a windswept dune

to which he absconded.

 

With spring’s coy blush

tourists trek over his dune

with painted toes and smart phones

on a hunt for the juice.

 

But his jump shot was perfected

with crumpled up vellum

and no trace remains of

Cannon’s war-weary fellow.




Written for Shay's Word Garden - "The Legacy of Ladysmith"  Her word list challenge this week for an original poem was taken from the forgotten novel, The Legacy of Ladysmith by John Kenny Crane. 



I had never heard of this novel (the Boer Wars?) but it sounds intriguing and I can think of many more worthy novels to be relegated to the sale table. 

What writer doesn't fear the dreaded remaindering?

7 comments:

Fireblossom said...

It is one of things that stops me from undertaking the writing of a novel. All that time and energy over such a long period of times and it could end up for 3.99 on a sale table or never see the light of day at all. There are so many things i would rather be doing, now that I am retired!

I do love your clever poem, though!!!

qbit said...

LOL! Shoo seagull, shoo!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Fireblossom,
I agree, but I can't stop myself. Thanks!

qbit,
Ha, right damn scavengers. Thanks for reading.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, this is so well-done. I can see the crumpled up paper - but also the spectacular dune and beach he hied himself off to............wonderfully done! A treat to read.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Sherry!

Margaret said...

Write for oneself... enjoy the process. I've made my own poetry books - hardcover and all and gifted some to family. Some get read, some don't. Clever poem you have here. I went to buy it on Audible (it isn't there).

Yvonne Osborne said...

Margaret,
Hi! And thank you. Audible? It has never occurred to me to put any of my stuff there. ???