"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, April 4, 2024

The Interview And the Robin

MIRACLES OF SPRING

 

While answering questions about my writing in an Interview with the publisher, two plump robins engage in a mating dance on snow-crusted grass outside my window. They fly their affair into the maple, bare as a February field, and find foothold in the crook of a branch for spring is coming and there's work to be done.

The miracle of the greening.  


The poets at What's Going On (the mighty foursome!) reminded me that all around there are miracles in our midst. We only have to stop and look to see the plump robin in a new light, how she fends off the blue jays through patience and perseverance. 


Then there's the first pop of green in the towering birch trees that seemed to happen overnight.


Speaking of miracles, my launch party at Inscribe Books went off without a hitch! Another miracle. A day I dedicated to my grandma who bolstered my fragile self-esteem through adolescence; to my father who collated copies of my early poems, bound them together with his stapler and titled the collection The Farmer’s Daughter; and to Mother who always wanted to know what I was doing if I hadn’t stopped in for a visit—immersed in a novel I regretfully never shared with her.

















        I'm sorry Mom. 
        I wish you had been here. 


I reacquainted with some long lost friends tonight at our local library, coming together over a book. Now that's a miracle! It's a miracle that this book is out in the world. A miracle that someone wanted to interview little ol' me. Proof that (yes Mother) patience pays off and perseverance is a virtue.


15 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations on your book, and gratitude for the many miracles in our lives!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Susan,
Thank you so much! Appreciate you reading.

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Your first paragraph is beautiful and captures the visceral feelings of Spring.

Congratulations on your launch party.

Mary said...

There is no miracle more symbolic of spring than two robins mating! Congratulations on your book!

annell livingston said...

A lovely poem!! Thank you. annell

Rajani said...

Congratulations...and that picture of the cosy reading in the library is wonderful! May more miracles come your way.

Truedessa said...

Congratulations on your book - no easy task for sure. Truedessa

Brother Ollie said...

We just got hit by a snowstorm. I'm ready for the miracles of spring.

Jennifer Wagner said...

It is a delight when that pop of green seems to happen overnight! Happy for you for all your miracles!

Dora said...

"We only have to stop and look to see the plump robin in a new light, how she fends off the blue jays through patience and perseverance." These miracles of nature that light the way to our own --- Blessings and much success, Yvonne, on your book's publication! No small miracle.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Dora,
Thanks you so much!

Jennifer,
Thanks! Yes, overnight miracles.

Ollie,
Me too! Thanks.

Truedessa,
Thank you!

Rajani,
The readings in small bookstores and libraries are perfect. I highly recommend it!!!

Sherry, Thank you! I appreciate it.

Annell,
Thank you for commenting!

Mary,
Thanks! Robins are our heralds of spring.

Vanessa,
Thanks a bunch!

Sumana Roy said...

Congratulations on your book Yvonne! This poem of gratitude and miracles is very moving. "and to Mother who always wanted to know what I was doing if I hadn’t stopped in for a visit"...This touches the core.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sumana,
Thanks. Regrets are hard to let go of.

colleen said...

Way to go, Yvonne!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Colleen!!
Thanks so much for commenting.