"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Grandpa's Haymow (The Secret Place)

 We appreciate what we have after we no longer have it

 

I unhook the latch on the door and climb over the ancient
threshold of the haymow erected when grandpa was little.
The wind moans and groans through the cracks in the boards
and the door swings and bangs on its rusted hinge.
The smell of hay baled in summer and stacked for winter
from floor to rafters to a peekaboo window
the fun of seeing without being seen. But there


A cache of eggs in a bowl of straw.

Brown and warm, chocolate and tan

Hens who like to sit, murmur, and coo

Beneath a watertight roof safe and secure.

Puffed-up doves preen in the rafters.

One flies overhead, east to west, the length of day.

Temperatures drop, wind rifts through the cracks

The sound of eaves dripping,

November come calling.

But the mow stays dry, a refuge from the farm on the farm.

I write in here. If I were a bird I’d nest in here.

If I were an owl, I’d sleep in here. 

If I were a architect I construct this here.

But they don't make barns like this anymore.



The resident cat from a long line of felines is on patrol.

When dad had dairy there were many of them.

Does she have a batch of newborns curled in a ball

In grandpa’s hay mow? 


A melodic song from high in the rafters

Stirs the hair on my arm.

No common sparrow this trilling song. Doves don’t mind

Our looking at them but somewhere up there—

Where no light can shine, nor eye can see

Perches an uncommon bird warbling a song.

My breath freezes in frame like a cat on the prowl

But this diminutive bird

Compelled to sing of the day 

Remains hidden from me.


 

For dVerse, a poem about a building that was more than a building to me.


 

19 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

How GLORIOUS and comforting it was to read this, Yvonne! You took me there, and I could feel every line. What a wonderful place to spend time as a child........ when I remember childhood, it is my grandparents' house I remember - a place of refuge, of safety. So I really felt this poem. I love the contented chickens!

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the nostalgia in your poem, Yvonne, and the appeal to the senses. I especially enjoyed:
‘The smell of hay bailed in summer and stacked for winter
from floor to rafters to a peekaboo window
the fun of seeing without being seen’,
the description of the cache of eggs, the ‘puffed-up doves preen[ing] in the rafters’, and the nosy cat – I have two of those!
A lovely building to be.

brudberg said...

I had not heard the word haymov before... but as you said, Brendan's barn was a lot like this. Love all the details of what the building may protect... and don't we all wish to be so caring

Brendan said...

Such pregnant timbers of memory! It made me recall every barn I've wandered through.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Tony,
Thanks. I think that's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said.

Sherry,
Thanks!!! Yes the murmur and coo of the chickens is oddly comforting.

Kim,
Thank you! Writing this, pulling out my pictures made me miss it all the more. It was a great place to write. I used to call it the Haymow Diaries!

Brudberg,
It always take me by surprise when someone says that as it's so familiar to me, growing up on a farm. (Everybody had one.) The haymow was always a place of sustenance and warmth, even on the coldest day. Thank you for commenting.

Brenden,
Thanks! I thought our two pieces could pair like a Bluetooth! Thanks for reading. Take care.

Jim said...

Know the hayloft well, Yvonne. I played much as you did, some differences. We didn't have free-to-range chickens because of the visiting coyotes. My job was to catch the ones trying to spend the night in the trees and bring them inside. Did you ever fall out of the loft? I did, flat on my back. It knocked the air out of me until I came to and recovered. Not sure who built the barn, Grandpa owned it and my dad watched them pull the new house in, back in 2010's. The old house became one of the hen houses. Not sure where your loft was, mine was about 35 miles north of Omaha.
..

Di said...

What an amazing place to sit, contemplate and write poetry. The photos are stunning. Such an enjoyable read that took me somewhere magical on the farm.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jim,
My mother talked about seeing the chickens in the trees when she was a child. Ours never do that. The chutes were scary but I never fell. Our haymow (loft) was a Michigan one. I expect they're the same everywhere. Thanks.

Di,
Thank you so much!!

Grace said...

Love the detailed descriptons. You certainly wrote from the heart and made it more special than one would normally see it. Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Grace,
Gosh, thanks so much. I appreciate it.

Kerfe said...

Such a wonderful sanctuary! You took me right inside.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Kerfe,
Thank you. It was a most comforting place, in all kinds of weather.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

a veritable playground full of warm and smells and sounds - you take the reader right in

lynn__ said...

I also have wonderful memories of hay mows...my uncle's and later on our own farm. The smell of musty hay and cats having kittens...yes! Thanks for sharing, Yvonne :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Laura,
Thanks for going in there with me!!

Lynn,
I'm glad this stirred up some memories for you. I know the city cousins loved coming up to the farm and we loved spooking them in the haymow.
Thanks.

pvcann.com said...

This took me back to my days on the farm, and to before that, as a child visiting a farm where my grandfather worked, beautifully described.

Yvonne Osborne said...

pvcann,
Thank you! I appreciate you letting me know what you thought and the many ways we can connect through the farms we once knew.

Helen said...

A deeply touching poem as I spent a huge part of childhood on my grandparent's farm. Feed the animals, gathering eggs, walking cows to pasture, playing in the hayloft, riding the draft horses, cradling baby chicks in my palms ... your immensely satisfying poem brought it back.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen,
Thanks so much. I appreciate the feedback, and our common backgrounds!