"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Favorite Books of 2026

What are your three favorite reads of 2026? asks the folks at BookDNA, the Goodreads alternative. I keep a list of the books I’ve read in my journal, because otherwise I wouldn’t remember all of them. A few could stand out without the penned reminder, but most fade into the back of the bookshelf.

At present I’m reading "Whistler" by Ann Patchett but haven’t read far enough to form an opinion. I’ve liked some of her books in the past, "Dutch House", in particular, because it hit close to home. As I consider her list, I’m reminded of a quote I saw which becomes more relevant every day.

“I’m an American and there are many things about that I don’t believe in and am appalled by, but there are also things I love and believe in. What matters is we do the best we can with the life we have.” – Ann Patchett

These two are at the top my favorites thus far for 2026. The short but amazing “Seascraper” by Benjamin Wood for its atmospheric setting on the coast of Northern England and portrayal of a young man’s daily toil versus his private dream of being a musician, and “A Good Animal” by Sara Mauer, which is a comp for my own  “Black River” (excuse the shameless plug) as it reveals the beauty and brutality of farm life. Mauer’s debut novel also takes place in Michigan. 


Honorable Mention belongs to Ryan Dennis and his memoir, “Barn Gothic, The Death of the Family Dairy Farm”, as I grew up with it and lived it and know it to be true. “Go  Big or Get Out”, Earl Butz’s command as Secretary of Agriculture under Ronald Regan, both of whom my late father, farmer and newspaperman, despised.


My TBR list sounds weightier then what I’ve thus far read. Namely:

 

“Water Lines” - Riverhorse Nakadate,  a self-proclaimed angler, musician, environmentalist, and lifelong nomad, recommended for readers of Mary Oliver and Jim Harrison.

 

“The Beauty of the Days Gone By” - Jason Stone, a good ‘ol epic Western about the historical struggle between Texas cattle ranchers and the Comanche and Kiowa Nations.

 

“Pachinko” – Min Jin Lee, 1900’s Korea and Japan, the highly acclaimed historical novel spans generations and addresses current problems of immigration and racism. I read the sample on my Kindle and loved it. It’s on my library wishlist. I prefer the physical book over electronic.


And just added, cause there's too many books and not enough days in a year,  "Great Women of Mackinc", the story of  thirteen indigenous and settler women who contributed to the history of this beautiful island.

 

I plan to finish Whistler and maybe another off my TBR before I finalize my best of  ’26 for Book DNA.

 

Drop a comment and let me know what you’re reading or if you have a favorite of 2026.

No comments: