"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Maypie Tales - "White Like Me"


WHITE LIKE ME

They forgive me my alabaster chill.
They love me in spite of myself.
With smooth walnut bodies,
muscled and uniform as recruits in an army,
they embrace me.

I’ve never walked into a room where I was the only one.
Never in a store, classroom or street
have I been the only one.
White like an angel of the lord
who was white too
(it’s in a book)
am I smug in my majority.
All the angels on high—
the Seraphims and Heroines
in the missals of my upbringing were white like me.

So when they embraced me and held me tight
with arms that were brown,
I was fearful and senseless and tried to escape
until they closed my eyes to my minority.
Only then could I feel the weight of an arm across my breasts
and the breath in my hair and on my legs
and know it was good.

The hands that held me were warm as a counterpane
that encases a dream, and I became color blind and free.


This week's prompt for Maypie Tales

from Tess Kincaid at Willow Manor stumped me for a while.

Like the woodpecker frozen on the feeder with his beak aiming for the suet, I didn't know how to proceed. Then I went off on a thread and walked the wire inside my head. Maypie sometimes does that to me. I think that's a good thing.

Here's to a productive week to all you writers, editors, and creative souls out there. Here's to aiming for the suet that seems out of reach.

26 comments:

Donna B. said...

"The hands that held me were warm as a counterpane
that encases a dream, and I became color blind and free." Wonderful! GREAT Magpie.

Kay said...

this is a wonderful magpie..i agree with you about the prompt but that's what i love never knowing were that thought will lead....have a great week..x

Brian Miller said...

very nice sensuality in this...and there is freedom in that color blindness...

Templeton's fury said...

i liked your correlation with the angels...

Doctor FTSE said...

I think this is great . . but is your last line (though quite funny) really necessary?

Jinksy said...

I'm not so sure angels are white...

Other Mary said...

These lines are so great:
'All the angels on high—
the Seraphims and Heroines'

Too bad there isn't more colorblindness...or appreciation of the beauty of all the colors.

Unknown said...

Lots of interesting contrasts in your poem. Very insightful and introspective. Thank you for sharing this, Yvonne.

Anthony Duce said...

This is great. The poem works as well, without the image.. But it's good to be inspired.

jabblog said...

Very interesting perspective and the final colour blindness is something we all should aspire to.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Donna,
Thank you very much!

Kay,
I agree. You too.

Brian,
Thanks.

Templeton,
Yes, I thought so. Glad you liked it.

Doc.
No of course not, and I never really liked it either so out it went. Thanks.

Cat,
Oops, another take on the hair. Oh well....thank you so much!

Jinksy,
Of course they aren't.

Mary,
Thank you!

Linda,
Thank you for commenting!

Tony,
Well...you would know all about that, making your own images to be inspired as you do. It's a great combination.

Jab,
Thank you!

Susan,
I'm not sure what to say either. If you are a real person, thank you. But I could do without the sweaty feet link.

Jayne said...

Yvonne- couldn't we all! (Do w/out the sweaty feet link.) I never know what to do w/those comments, but they seem like spam to me.

Love your poem. The imagery is stunning. It is a beautiful response to Tess's prompt. You not only found your suet, you devoured it. Amazing what happens when we walk the wire. ;)

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Very nice. I love the lyrical progression and growth of the subject.

Deborah said...

"I've never walked into a room where I was the only one." That would make a good opening line, nice rhythm and instantly drawing the reader in.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done....thanks for sharing

izzy said...

I particularly like the first verse.
and I think I know what you mean when you said you started in one direction and went where your muse
took you...thanks.

izzy said...

I particularly like the first verse.
and I think I know what you mean when you said you started in one direction and went where your muse
took you...thanks.

Carrie Van Horn said...

A beautiful and unique write Yvonne! :-)

Helen said...

I love this .. color blind is good.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jayne,
Thank you.

Nessa,
Thanks. It kept growing on it's own until I reined it in!

Deborah,
Hmmm. You might be right. Maybe I should tuck that away on one of my blank pages. Thanks!

Poga
Thanks!

Izzy,
Thank you.

Carrie,
Thank you so much!

Jemi Fraser said...

You are a heck of a walker on that wire! I loved this and the image is incredible! What an inspiration :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jemi,
Hi! And thank you!!! I don't know how Tess comes up with these, but she sure can pick them. Thanks for all your encouragment!

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh! This was a real treat...excellent piece of writing...thank you Yvonne!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Tess,
Thank you and thanks for challening the far right side of my brain!

Isabel Doyle said...

So many beautiful lines here - such thought and feeling. Excellent response to the prompt.

Best wishes Isabel

Yvonne Osborne said...

Isabel,
Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! I'm so glad you liked it.