"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, June 6, 2024

The Price of an Ignorant Nation

In praise of libraries, my two local ones, the Goodland Township Library and Brown City District Library, have been amazing in their support and enthusiasm for this local author. They are involved and interested in their communities and support literary events, book sales, and summer reading programs. Like our public education system, libraries are part of the structural backbone of a democratic society. They are the literary center of small rural communities and encourage civil discourse. The public monies allocated to them are an investment in literacy and an educated citizenry.

The price of libraries is small compared to the price of an ignorant nation.

My self-arranged book tour has been a mini success to date, and I'll keep reaching out to libraries and independent bookstores far and wide to invite me to talk, read, and sign my debut novel Let Evening Come.  Who know, maybe someday I'll be at one near you. My publisher is small and they don't have the resources or personnel to organize book tours for their authors, so I have the reins in one hand and a sharp pencil in the other, searching for the sweet spot between promotion and creation. 

My hope now is that the first print run sells out and they have to do a second printing so the four (yes 4!!) typos a friend and sister found can be corrected.


4 comments:

Helen said...

I join you, Yvonne, in giving a shout out and a salute to local libraries ... our Deschutes Library is simply amazing!!!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Helen! We are so fortunate to have these bastions of literacy and knowledge available to us.

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Libraries are amazing and a resource that needs to be maintained if we are to be a community. They should be thought of as being on par with clean air and water for everyone - a basic necessity.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Vanessa,
So true. I love that. Thanks!