"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, March 18, 2011

Fifty Quintessential British Novels And Other Friday Things

Accredited Online Colleges has published their list of Fifty Quintessential British Novels.


It's an interesting collection, ranging from John Cleland's Fanny Hill (or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure), and I much prefer the subtitle, to Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I know many of you are fans of his. I found some surprising titles in their list and a few to add to my Must-Reads. This is also a great site to research if you are considering taking online college courses.

While we are on the subject of books, I'd like to plug what I'm currently reading, SOUND OF THE CROW, by Layne Maheu.

If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

Told from a crow's point of view, this is a wildly imaginative journey across the land of the beastman, Noah, as he madly chops down the giants that the crows live in. I've just gotten to the Deluge and I wouldn't have believed that a novel about a bunch of raucaus crows could keep me in thrall. I think we all share an interest in the ancient world, and I'm finding it immensely fascinating, viewing the unsettled state of things through the unblinking eye of the crow. What must they think of us now, I wonder.

Thank Goodness It's Friday! Ya'll have a great weekend. I'm off to Columbus, Ohio to see my daughter graduate from The Ohio State University with a degree in English. Yay!! While there, I will raid her bookcase, which is always chock full of delicious college reading in paperback form. I'm jacked up on coffee and my fingers are tingling at the thought.

Until we meet again my online friends, I wish you all well in your creative endeavors.

10 comments:

Liza said...

Congratulations to your daughter! Enjoy your trip and your reading.

Anonymous said...

Safe travels (just sorry you have to venture into Ohio, hehe). That book you mentioned sounds AMAZING. Just oodles of good potential in the idea...can't imagine what it's actually like. Crows are fascinating...honestly, never had an appreciation for birds until I hit 30. rather pathetic, eh?

Frances Garrood said...

Interesting list (the 50 novels), but no P. G. Woodhouse? No A. A. Milne?

Have a great time in the US!

Anne R. Allen said...

I'm glad to see Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams on the list, but I agree that A.A. Milne and P.G. Wodehouse belong there, too. Probably more than some of those contemporary sloggy books. Sorry, but I have several of those novels half-read in my stack of books--where they will probably gather dust until I take them to the used bookstore. A book doesn't have to be depressing to be "good literature."

Congratulations to your daughter. And to her mother for getting her to this day.

I've been observing crows in my neighborhood recently. They are such survivors. Thanks for recommending this book.

Anthony Duce said...

Thanks for the information, enjoy the time…

Yvonne Osborne said...

Liza,
Thank you so much.

Sarah,
I never used to pay any attention to them either. Now I practically swoon when I see my first robin. Ohio isn't that bad!

Frances,
Hmmm. Why don't I know Wodehouse? Should I? Thanks for your input.

Anne,
Another Wodehouse fan. I'm going to have to look him up.
Just between you and me....what sloggy ones remain dust-covered and half read? You could save me some trouble.:) Song of Crow is definitely not sloggy. I think that's my new favorite word. Thanks for the congrats. It's been a long road. You have no idea.

Tony,
Thank you!

Jayne said...

That book (Sound of the Crow) looks like a great read. I've added it to my list. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jayne,
The next time a crow caws out to me I will be paying attention! Thanks for your comment.

mary.anne.gruen@gmail.com said...

Congratulations to your daughter! And to you!

Song of the Crow sounds very interesting!

As for the Quintessential British Novels, I've always been in love with Sherlock Holmes. I like several other books on the list, but there are still others I've never been able to get into. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy being one of them. That one always went over my head.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Mary Anne,
Hi! And thank you. Hitchhiker is one I've always wanted to read but I hate getting in over my head, though we are supposed to challenge ourselves . . .I remind myself.
Thanks for stopping by!