"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Child's Play


The pictures on the staircase rearranged themselves in the night
           or so she thinks.
The carvings in the wooden beams that support the entry to this old house
are mathematical in design and impossible to sand
            or so it seems.
My ears sing and I go to the woods to hear the crow and found a skull
and a rack and remember that which was upturned in the garden
and thrown into the ditch, but they keep coming back, like playful ghosts,
            or so I fear.
First it was her great-grandmother’s portrait
moved from top to bottom. Each night another moved
until the last morning the wall was empty.
            No one sees what she can see.
The dog barks, and the moon turns red, an eye of blood,
the camera flash, a migraine, a socket at the keyhole.
           The dreamwheel in my head.
My family pictures don’t rearrange themselves. I hang them where
I want them and they stay put. If a hook come up empty,
dust coating the wall behind where something hung,
            it was on someone else’s stair.
I retain the brass chalice my father used as an ashtray for his cigars
and saved the butt of one half-smoked.The wrapper crumbles in the bowl
but the blackened tip is soft from his lip 
            or so it seems. 
The boy runs for help with ash in his hair, a rattling in his pockets.
Fire smoldering undetected beneath the surface of the peatlands
broke free in his excavating.
            A tooth in his pocket. 
On the final night of the wolf moon her ancestors were piled against the wall
at the bottom of the stairs.
            I dreamed I was her and saw them there.

This is posted for Brendan's challenge at Earthweal, the new platform for discussion of climate challenges. The ghosts of what was, what might have been and what might yet be. Comments and suggestions are welcomed!

9 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this poem full of ghosts. My family is Irish, we love ghost stories and have some of our own. I lived with a ghost for a year, one time. Now I just carry them in my heart, like my black wolf, who died nine years ago today.

Anthony Duce said...

Memories of connections and the ghosts.. Enjoyed..

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sherry,
You had a black wolf?! Indians you know believe that Wolves have special powers! I have a lot of Irish in me too. I guess that explains it. Thank you!

Tony,
Thanks!

brudberg said...

The image of a haunted house is so apt, especially when layered with the boy with ash in his hair. A wonderful write.

Brendan said...

Ghosts -- at least, our conscious comprehension of them -- strain the limits of perception and cognition, they occupy a borderland filled with "or it seems" and "or so I thought". The iteration of these half-named places is what is so wonderful here, the poem is such an iteration of ghosting in ghostlike spaces, all of them personal, invoked by liminal, invasive moments. "The dog barks, and the moon turns red, an eye of blood,/ the camera flash, a migraine, a socket at the keyhole. / The dreamwheel in my head." There is space to doubt, to weir the weird water -- "My family pictures don’t rearrange themselves." -- conscious sense at least keeps things orderly -- But with hauntings we know where things are going, and the poem is a ghostly mountain climbed whose summit is the gathering of the wolf moon's ancestors at the bottom of the stair, the dream of it, this spooky, intimate poem. Bravo.

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

I really like the use of stairs as a metaphor for traveling through time and space, the future and the not forgotten.

Sumana Roy said...

A beautiful sketch of a different world, of a different time.

Yvonne Osborne said...

brudberg,
Thank you so much. I appreciate that.

Brendan,
Thank you! And thanks for all the feedback. You have such a mastery of words: "to weir the weird water"! Love that.

Vanessa,
Thanks! So nice to hear from you. Yes, I had to end at the bottom of the stairs, a metaphor, as you say, for traveling through space and time.

Sumana,
Thank you so much,.

Margaret said...

Fascinating poem - Read it twice.