"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Garlic!!

My hands smell like garlic. I've chopped and chopped, chopped the house awake. Time to get up! The sun is shinning through the evergreens, cones hanging like coconuts from the top branches. One of our trees lost its top in a straight-line wind two years ago. It's big but no longer the biggest.

Back to garlic. 

Well....I've dried parsley before in the oven, so I know this can be done, this dehydrating process. Thirty minutes at the lowest temp (170 for me) then stir, reset the timer, and repeat.  Repeat until dried and crumbly to the touch, however long that takes. Will it get crumbly? You tell me. Then I'll grind it up (to make my bread)  in my food processor to have my own garlic, um powder? Or just minced dried garlic to put in spaghetti and meatloaf and lasasgna and minestrone and bean soup with pig hocks and all those other things we turn to for comfort when the weather turns to winter.

Check out Poets and Storytellers: "The Season Turns" for seasonal thoughts from Down Under to "Up North". And I'd welcome any suggestions that will improve my chances of success on this Sunday Funday.


11 comments:

scotthastiepoet said...

Sounds good to me Yvonne - quite a reflex conjured by this your vivid description... And leaves me reflecting I'd like to dig in to your cooking any day!

indybev said...

Everything's better with garlic!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

We got some pork hocks from the food bank. They are currently in the freezer. I will have to find a recipe to make a soup from them.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Scott,
Thanks! If you were in my neigborhood I'd have you over.

Bev,
I agree! Thanks.

Ornery Owl,
Hocks are great in bean soup (navy bean) or baked beans too, especially if you got some with a little meat on them.
Thanks for coming over.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Ooh! I've never tried to dry minced garlic. I usually just can it. But I like your idea so much better.

I have a bit of drying to do myself--passiflora, lemongrass, rosemary, tangerine leaves... I shall enjoy the process. It's one of my favorite things about autumn time, that and boots. 😊

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love garlic! In any form. Your plans for it sound wonderful.

dsnake1 said...

it's good to know a bit of other culture's cuisine. we Chinese usually cook with fresh garlic. We use it in stir-frys, stews, almost anything. :)

Naledi said...

Quite the recipe. Sounds delicious

Helen said...

I love a good stream of consciousness poem ~~ yours is!

Khaya Ronkainen said...

Oh, yum! The smell and taste of fresh garlic in every dish, delicious. A lovely write on garlic! :)

Gillena Cox said...

Sounds interesting. Galic is lovely in flavour and healthy goodness.
Happy you dropped by my blog

Much💖love