"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Patty's Spaghetti

It's the heart of tomato season with a hint of autumn on the air, and once again I find myself making Patty's Spaghetti. I first posted this recipe during hunting season in 2008, and I figured most of you didn't know me when.

After walking down our gravel road with gunshots going off in the woods all around me and a bowl of spaghetti under my coat to deliver to the folks, I decided to write about the experience and share my mother's old recipe.

At the time, I clearly remember wondering, if you are hit by a bullet, do you feel it? Does it hurt? What if one hit my bowl of spaghetti, sauce down my coat and in my hair. What would they eat for dinner? 

PATTY'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1 handful of sliced fresh mushrooms
2-3 cloves of garlic (as much as you like)
2 large onions, several stalks of celery
diced and simmered in a stick of butter
until translucent.
Add 2 quarts of canned tomatoes
tomato paste
1 bay leaf, 1 t. oregano
2 t salt and 2 t pepper
Homemade meatballs.
Or you can chunk it up
with winter squash if you don't have
a good local source for pastured beef. 
Simmer all day on the stove,
stirring frequently (don't burn it like I just did)
Your sauce will thicken as it simmers

addendum:
Best with real garlic bread made with minced garlic drenched in melted butter and toasted in the oven. Don't buy Texas Toast. Ewww look at the ingredients!

4 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

I've never added celery to my spaghetti sauce! Soups yes, but not spaghetti!
Glad no one had to worry about bullet holes!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Jemi!
Yes, mom's old recipe always called for celery so I always added it, thinking, what could it hurt? No bullet holes (or buckshot!) in the spaghetti. Nice to connect with you, old blogging buddy! (I love your profile pic and your website)

Helen said...

I think I could exist on tomatoes! Three children born in mid October, one in early September. We lived in the Midwest then, tomatoes plentiful and I took full advantage of my grandparent’s farm! Might just put a bit of celery in my next batch of spaghetti sauce! Cheers.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Helen!
Celery, onions and lots of mushrooms! Oh and garlic. Lots of garlic.