"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Ode To The Best Medicine



Robert Louis Stevenson once said, Wine is bottled poetry, and John Keats said, "Give me books, French wine, fine weather and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know."

To the masters, I would defer. It seems alcohol and poetry go hand in hand. As a tribute to the intoxicating power of poetry, dVerse (the poet’s pub) has asked us to write a poem about our favorite drink or one with a drinking connection, whether alcoholic or nonalcoholic, to live up to the pub's name and spread some cheer. "Drink to the goodness of words flowing," says our hostess. So, bottoms up!


Olive Aficionado

I’ve been found out.

I knew I was in trouble

when he started counting

the beers in the refrigerator

and I started hiding the empties.

He roots through the garbage

like a pig after truffles.

He doesn’t know how lucky he is

I don’t drink martinis.

I only wanted the olives.

We once had a row at a family reunion—

the grand dame sipping

her martini all afternoon,

shading her complexion

and saving the olives

plump and replete.

Me, on the fringe of conversation

waiting for the distraction,

the sly sleight of hand.

Anticipation is everything.



Martinis aren't my favorite, but they were my dad's. "Gin," he said, "is the world's best painkiller."



 I will end with a Bukowski quote the Pub served up because it made me laugh, and I think that's the next best thing.


"That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen."

Happy Thanksgiving!


15 comments:

dwru27 said...

Very nicely done! Slight-of-hand seems to be the name of the game!

ms_lili said...

I like how you wove childhood and adult memories of drinking together in a non-judgmental, and even affectionate way. Buk's quote is brilliant because it's true. An alcoholic will use any reason to drink. Not sure who said it, but that saying, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" is also true.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice one Yvonne.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Much💛love

Kim M. Russell said...

Oh yes, Yvonne, I too prefer the olives to the alcohol! I love the opening lines, which make me feel complicit.

paeansunplugged said...

Yvonne, thanks so much for joining in with this lovely verse replete with succulent olives!

Laura Bloomsbury said...

I like how you led us into the innocence of Martinis from the beer bottle search - the metaphor of truffling pig is a potent one

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is gorgeously rendered! I can't resist olives either 💖💖

Jane Dougherty said...

I think these two should try wine, something they can share. And put the olives in the food. I've never understood why they dunk them in alcohol :)

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoyed. Happy Thanksgiving.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Tony. You too,

Jane, olives are like liver, you love them or hate them. They are good in Bloody Marys though too thanks!

Sanaa,
Thanks!

Laura,
Thank you. Glad you liked my truffles!:)

Paean,
Thanks and thank you for the great prompt. I enjoyed it.

Kim,
Thanks. It can feel good to be complicit in shenanigans!

Gillena,
Thanks and you're welcome

Lili
I've been guilty of that one when the clock points to noon. Thanks!

Dwru,
Thank you!!

brudberg said...

Ha... I think I preferred neither as a kid... these days I could take a martini but it is far from my favorote..

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Nicely done! I am especially smitten with these words:
"I don’t drink martinis.
I only wanted the olives."
They made me smile.

Dora said...

What a hoot! Clever misdirection replete with olive fever. :)

Angela said...

Great PS your dad was right :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Brudberg,
I agree, but I sure do love those olives. Thanks!

Lillian,
Thanks! It really happened and the memory still makes me smile. She was so pissed!!!

Dora,
Thanks so much!

Angela,
Yes, he was. About a lot of things. Thank you.