"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, August 25, 2023

The Website Launch

I'm very excited to announce the launch of my new website yvonneosborne.com. Visit me and say hello! I'm nervous about it, hesitating between "coming soon" and the public launch. Just as debut novelists wonder, what if nobody buys my book? I wonder, what if nobody visits me? But I thought it important to do this before my debut novel hits the shelves in the spring of next year.

Website building for a non-techy person is a painstaking process, one that had me one step shy of throwing my laptop out the window. I finally wised up and hired a pro to help. Jane Friedman said we shouldn't have to, making the process sound easy. but she obviously didn't have me in mind when churning out her website building classes on Writer's Digest. I'm neither a plumber, electrician, carpenter, nor website builder! I just want to write, and I think many writers feel the same. We want to sit in a private corner with our favorite writing medium, immersed in our stories with characters whom (honestly) we often feel closer to than the people outside the door. When in the zone, we don't want to talk to real people.

So, that said, thank goodness for experts like Gaby at Fiver. Check her out if you are thinking of building a website or just want to renovate an old one and you aren't one of the prior-listed skilled tradespeople! Then check out mine. All human, all the time. Too bad that needs to be said, but with AI on the rampage and plagiarism on everyone's mind, I feel it does. How do we protect our names and our work? But that's a whole different subject.  But I promise, I will never edit text with AI. If I can't compose my own sentence structure and  narrative from my experiences, ideas, and imagination, than I'm not a writer. What am I? A copycat. The kid at the back of the room who is either too lazy, or just can't cut it, and enlists the help of others to write his papers for him.

Have a great weekend and may Aeolus, the god of storms in Greek mythology take his bluster elsewhere. Likewise, Thor, that hammer-wielding god of Norse mythology associated with lightning can take his hammer and split. Though my dad always said chain lightning was important because it channeled nitrogen into the earth, we've had quite enough in southeast Michigan.

I just had to throw in a weather lament. When not writing, I'm a farmer and a gardener, and weather is of paramount importance. Notice how all these gods of mayhem are male and irascible? 


6 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Congrats on both the book and website.
Yes, the recent storms: we’ve had quite enough. Lost power last night.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thank you Tony. Hope the lights come back on soon. We dodged that bullet this time. Crazy summer.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog, Yvonne. Great news about your novel and have fun with your new blog. I remember when I started mine, not expecting anyone to come, and how it opened the world of online poetry to me. What a journey it has been.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Shery. I'm actually keeping the same blog, just linking it to the new website. It has been a long journey, and I've come to depend on and learned much from this online community of writers. Keep writing!

Jemi Fraser said...

LOVE the backdrop photo on your website. The site looks great!
Congrats on the novel - my heart raced reading the blurb!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Jemi,
Thank you so much. I'm very happy with how it all turned out. As a fellow writer, I thank you for your comment and racing heart!!