"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Malcolm The Cat

The sleet quietly turned into snow in the night. Nothing moves on the road, like the snowy mornings of old. The snow deadens sound, but I see our fat cat has emerged from his house on the porch to observe the day. He has a rug and shelter under the overhang. His dish is empty. I warm up some broth left over from our Christmas Day Beef Bourguignon and drizzle it over his food, now fit for the king cat he is. A morning like this makes one feel lazy as a cat in the sun.  

Things cats can teach us:

Be curious but cautious
Pay 
attention to the weather
Sharpen your claws but know when to run
Know your friends.
You can
 see in the dark when you walk in the dark
E
at slowly then wash your face.

Happy New Year writers and poets and friends extraordinaire, especially those at earthweal where you will find poetry for and of a changing world.

15 comments:

Ingrid said...

I love the 'Proverbs of Cats' you have used as the finale of this piece. I once knew a cat called Malcom and he was a big fat ginger - king of the streets!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Ingrid!
Our Malcolm is black as the night he lives for. King of our road. Thank you!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Happy new year! He sounds quite regal, surveying his kingdom.

Kerfe said...

Your words have the elegance of a cat. We can certainly learn from observing all our fellow creatures.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sherry,
Yes, I'd say spoiled! Thanks.

Kerfe,
I agree. Thank you so much!

Brendan said...

Lots to learn from those felines. (I should groom my face more.)

Suzanne said...

I enjoyed your description of your cat. He sounds like a very wise animal and, as you say, we could learn a lot from him. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

ms_lili said...

Enjoyable poem and the well-wishing is bounced back to you.

Kim M. Russell said...

I love all things feline, have two cats myself, and what a great name for a cat – Malcolm! You set the scene up so beautifully and quietly and zoomed in to focus on Malcolm – which is how it should be! So much to learn from our cats.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Brendan,
Thanks! You guys especially need to groom your faces! Happy New Year.

Suzanne,
I so agree. Thank you!

Ms. Lili,
Thanks so much. Happy New Year.

Kim,
Thank you. I bet our cats could tolerate each other!

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoying the snow here on the now mostly deserted city streets too. So quite.
Happy New Year.

Jane Dougherty said...

It's funny how we live in such close contact with cats, tell ourselves we're pandering to their every whim, but never think to learn anything from them. You give us a fine list to study.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Anthony,
I like deserted streets. It reminds me of last March when the reality of the pandemic first hit. I, too, enjoy the snow. Thanks!

Jane
Thanks! That list came to me one day when I was lulling in the sun with Malcolm, the fat cat that my son claims guards the premises!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Happy New Year Yvonne and I love your post and have learnt I must wash my face more! :o]

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hypercryptical, Thank you!!