"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, January 27, 2022

How Words Become Swords (to submit or not to submit)

 If in the dark, I can better see, I will sit up all night to decipher the day, write about my failures, from which I can learn (or should). 

So, if you have writer’s block, write about them. You might find you can’t stop. You’ll be like Jack Kerouac with a manual typewriter, a carriage return, and reams of paper on a roll, spewing out failures across the floor and out the door like the meatball that rolled off the table when somebody sneezed. 

The loneliness and ungodliness of the day past with the anticipated tomorrow on the threshold, and, well, shit. Is unholy ungodly? Unholiness. Maybe that’s the word I wanted, Mr. Word. What does Word know as it tries to tell me what is a word and what is not a word. But I love Word. I love words words wordswordswords. See how words become swords? We wield our swords to make a point. We spar and swing and pivot our way across the day and into the night as we search for the perfect word to end a story on. To send on. To enter on. To close the cover on.

********

Adam Feasting:

What if Adam ate the apple?
A rogue deceptor, a muscle man,
who climbed the tree
who shook the limb
who took a bite
and smiled it good.


To write, read and share. Poets and Storytellers. (Feast or Famine)

16 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Submit, of course. Is there really another Choice?
Love this. Can so relate.

colleen said...

I have night vision too and often write about what it feels like not to be writing. My new poetry collection is an on-demand Amazon publication. If you can find someone who knows how to format and get it set up it's easy and you order author copies at a much reduced from retail rate and get a percentage of all sales. I have another collection that was accepted and published by a small press, Finishing Line Press. It was a good experience but a bit or work on my part as I had to get a certain # of presales before printing.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Tony,
Actually there isn't. Thanks.

Colleen,
Thanks, I will. I have heard of Finishing Line Press. Good luck!!

indybev said...

My connection to and association with words is similar. They have fascinated me my whole life long, and continue to do so. I love finding a new way to express myself!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Send it into the world, to add to someone else's story. Stories need words and words need readers... to grow.

And on the case of Adam, he totally ate it.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Words, yes! They have fascinated me since earliest childhood. They are my only talent, but that's OK: if I have them – and I do! – I can do without other gifts.

Helen said...

This is a great post! Words, how we think them, say them, write them, dream them ... they make our creative juices flow.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen,
Thank you. A love affair with words!

Rosemary,
If I could have one talent, that's the one I'd choose. Thanks.

Magaly,
Thanks! Yes, it was Adam.

Bev,
Thanks. I couldn't live without books.

Rommy said...

The first part is so relatable. I've fought the good fight with Word and words before. It's much easier when they are on my side.

And I agree with Magaly. Adam definitely did it.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rommy,
Righto, thanks!

Jim said...

I'm not sure but I haven't had writer's block yet. I might not feel like writing; there either I do or I don't. But I like your idea of writing of times where I went wrong, like Adam in a disastrous way.
I do have a private blog where only I am permitted to read and write. Some I turn into something worth printing, others are exercised, some times. And the like.
..
p.s. I liked your Adam write.
..

Jim said...

"Some times" I meant to say "some timed", timed writings. Google--he doesn't deserve a capital "c", bad, bad, changed it and I didn't notice. He did that here also but I watched for it and corrected him.
..

Jim said...

And he capitalized his name, before entering I had written "google".
..
re shopping for used books mentioned in your profile, I buy used books that I want from eBay. I used to have another compilation of book sellers but eBay was generally underpriced though the wait was longer.
..

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Jim!
Yes, spell check and Google are tyrants. We have to watch them all the time like a cat does a mouse. I read a lot on my kindle but till prefer a book in hand. I buy some from Thrift Books because their shipping costs are very reasonable and they offer quality used books. Then of course there's the beloved library. Glad you found something in my "book list". That reminds me I need to update it.
Thanks!!

purplepeninportland.com said...

I felt the tip of that sword, Yvonne! Ah, the guilt of Adam!

Yvonne Osborne said...

PurplePen,
Hey, there, thank you!!