"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

What's For Dinner?

I knew something was afoot when he went upstairs in his barn coat. He came back down with a knife that belonged to his father who grew up in Kentucky where shotguns and knives were all a boy knew. A boy who could knock a squirrel out of a tree with a slingshot became a man who went to war in the first wave. He was in a foxhole when the soldier beside him took a bullet to the head, but he aimed over the heads of the enemy and came home with a purple heart. 

The son of that man stepped back into his boots, worked his fingers into his gloves, and with the knife in one hand and a stainless-steel bowl in the other (my mother’s for whipping up cakes), went back outside in the near dark and bracing cold to skin the kill.

 

A big rabbit lived under our garden shed. I saw his tracks in the snow every morning when I let the chickens out. I knew where his entrance was and I knew his comings and goings. His circle of tracks was like a child’s game of fox and goose.

 

A big rabbit once lived under our shed.



For Poets and Storytellers my New Year's resolution is to try new recipes.

12 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

There is enough history there for a novel, Yvonne! Well done. Poor rabbit!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Sherry! I guess there would be if I can channel it
I'm looking up recipes for roasted rabbit.

Rommy said...

I love how prose and poetry seem to bleed into each other in this piece (no pun intended). That last line was perfection. It really drove home the mood.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Rabbits...humans...we are all one under the skin.

dsnake1 said...

Great storytelling. :)
i agree, the last line is a knockout punch.

Have a safe and Happy 2022!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rommey,
Thanks I almost ditched the last line so now I'm glad I didn't.

Magical Teacher,
True, but I'm glad I don't have to live under a shed and dodge bullets.
Thanks!

Dsnake,
Thank you!!

Anthony Duce said...

Love this. So concise. So complete. So moving. Feeling a bit sorry for the rabbit, a now lost friend.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Tony!

colleen said...

Love this. I was enthralled and also relate even though I'm a flower child, as my father was a WWII vet and my husband hunts.

Brother Ollie said...

I've lived this story. Guns knives rabbits...all of it.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Very well told.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super post