"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Haiku - going micro

 Inspired by the prompt at Poets and Storytellers to go micro . . .

The night bird rustles
m
idst the snow-burdened branches
o
f his hidden home.

 

Smog colored sunrise

of busy men—rich cerise

for their artless ways.


 

On the snow fog morn

white lights dance around the nest

of winter’s cardinal.



A traditional Japanese form, haiku is a three-line poem written in a 5/7/5 syllable count, usually with a focus on nature. Thanks, Rosemary, for including the other forms of micro poetry in the prompt. Less is often more!

 


10 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautiful words! I like the last one best of all: the contrast between the white lights and the (unstated but well-known) red of the cardinal. Beautiful use of an evocative image that speaks instantly to readers.

Jim said...

Yvonne, my favorite will be the first although they all begged my vote. Not the Poem so much as the idea a "hidden home" which all birds really need.
..

colleen said...

I especially like being left with that image of the cardinal.

Anthony Duce said...

Like the wintery visual impression they present.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rosemary,
Thanks. I figured no description is necessary for a cardinal. Interestingly we just watched a series (murder mystery) called Cardinal on Hulu. Can't get it out of my head. (Seeing red!)

Thanks Jim!
The other morning, predawn, I caught movement inside the arborvitae and it startled me until I realized it had to be a bird.

Colleen,
Thanks so much! They are Christmas birds.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I like them all--such vivid imagery--and the last one is my favorite. I can see the red... fighting off the fog.

dsnake1 said...

All rich haiku of this season.
my favourite must be the second one. All sunrises, no matter how we pollute the air, always surprises us with a rich red.

J M Beames said...

I can see your winter birds, the fog, frost and cold...

Yvonne Osborne said...

Magaly,
Thank you

dsnake,
Thanks for voting for #2! Ironically, pollution makes the sunrise and sunset more brilliant.

JM Beames,
Thank you!!

Rocío G. Tizón said...

Very nice words! I'm your new follower. May you follow me back?
Thanks and happy New Year.