"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Pushcart Prize

 What exactly is it and if one gets a nomination is it worth crowing about? 

I received one for a poem recently published in the Slippery Elm Literary Journal. I was shocked, frankly, having thought those were only given out to the highly successful, upper echelon of poets and writers who rub shoulders with the gods of publishing.

I did a little research after I recovered my sense and sensibility, and while there are differing opinions (a grocery cart as my husband cracked), I found the overall consensus to be YES, it's worth crowing about. It honors the best of poetry, creative nonfiction, and short fiction published by small presses. Even though it's "only" a nomination, it affirms modest scrivenors as serious writers to a greater communtity outside the insulated one of friends and family.  

I'm not sure what the final selection consists of or who the obscure judges are, but if it goes no further for me I'm happy to have been nominated.  So.....

in spite of my usual spat of rejections and setbacks, 2021 has been a good year for me and hopefully in 2022 we will emerge from the pandemic smarter and healthier (having learned from it), with success and happiness in the wings for all of us in this small blogging community. Happy Holidays!!

7 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Congratulations. Well deserved. Good sign toward entering the new year.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Tony. I think so too.

Helen said...

Cheers to you Yvonne!! And a huge BRAVA. (Love that your profile predicts greatness.)
Yours Truly,
A Follower

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen,
Thanks!!! I didn't think anyone ever read that. *Smiles*

Dora said...

Congratulations! I feel as if I've just recently discovered you, but glad to know the good poetry is recognized by the Pushcart folks.
Pax,
Dora

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Dora,
Thanks for commenting here. I really appreciate it and I'm glad to have discovered you.
Cheers!

ms_lili said...

Wha!?!? Congratulations on the nomination!