"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, December 16, 2022

Christmas Shopping at the Liquor Store

We met between the cabs and the sirahs 
My old lover and I.

A hank of chardonnay-colored hair

Fell between the Prosecco and Aperol

As he peered at a label with a falconer’s

Eye and I tripped over the Budweiser

Horses into his arms.

If wine is poetry,

Old friends are run-on sentences.

Let them come and take us away.



Playing with words for Shay's Word Garden.  Her word list this week is taken from A Coney Island of the Mind by the late beat poet, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, a favorite of mine, and also the owner of the famous City Lights Book Store. Visit her post this week to read his Junkman’s Obligato. 

 

And for the last dVerse of the year, a Meeting at the Bar, Zen Poetry. This was my Zen moment in the store before we went to the bar!  Happy Hoppy Holidays!!!




18 comments:

Fireblossom said...

That old singer met The Leader of the Pack at the candy store, but one might meet more writers at the liquor store. Hemingway and his pals for sure, though I think Ferlinghetti and the beats might be more likely to be rolling weed at the open mic event. Thanks for being part of the Word List, Yvonne!

Anthony Duce said...

Wonderful. Just the right mood.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Fireblossom,
I would much rather meet in the liquor store and wouldn't the beats have been fun to hang with? Thanks for the inspiration!

Tony,
Thank you Might as well get jolly!!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this so much! The falconer's eye, tripping over the Budweiser horses, and the old friends as run-on sentences. Wonderful!

robkistner said...

This was a fine peace Yvonne, well written, charming, and put a smile on my face. Have a great holiday, until next year peace and be safe.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sherry,
Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Thanks Rob and the same to you.

Helen said...

A visit to our local liquor is in store for this lady .. I can assure you!!! I am going to hang out between the rum and tequila aisles in case you know someone who's looking!!! Wishing you a joyous Holiday.

Grace said...

Why not. Enjoyed this one. Happy Holidays!!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen, cool! I love lurking by all the pretty bottles!

Grace,
Indeed. Thanks!!!

Truedessa said...

I have had a conversation or two between the reds and whites...I once went in for a bottle of wine and they were having a tasting. I jokingly said I need something to stir my poetic muse. There was a man in the store that said red is great for the imagination. haha I bought a red blend.

brudberg said...

First of all, I love that title... it made me think of all the best (and saddest) Christmas songs written.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Brudberg,
Thank you. Liquor has been known to do that to us!

dwru27 said...

I love it! Such great images!

qbit said...

Most excellent. I loved all those, especially "Old friends are run-on sentences."

Sunra Rainz said...

This is so lovely, Yvonne. Gently romantic in a restrained way. I like how you made this encounter a pleasant surprise rather than the awkward moment it can so often be! :-)

Yvonne Osborne said...

qbit,
Thanks! Yes, I feel that can be true.

Sunra,
Thank you. That's the feeling I was looking for. At least in fiction :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Love this! It hits so many cool notes. :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Tricia!
It's great to hear from you and I'm so glad you are still blogging and checking in once and a while. Thank you. Made my day.:)