"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, December 9, 2022

The Lake Superior Writer's Retreat

A small one-room cabin sits on top of a dune overlooking Lake Superior. Local legend holds it belonged to a writer. It’s not really a cabin, just a glassed-in lean-to which this writer supposedly built as a retreat. When walking the beach, you can see the top of the glass enclosure. Knowing the rumors of his mysterious death by drowning along with the sad truth that the dead have no privacy, I climbed the dune to see what the inside of a writer’s cabin overlooking a vast body of water looks like.

 

A grill sat beside the door next to a weather-beaten bench. I pressed my face to the glass. The inside was cluttered and desolate. It wasn’t at all cozy, as I had envisioned, only abandoned and sad. A crookneck lamp sat on a table beside the window but nothing else beyond clutter was recognizable. Nothing to indicate a writer ever worked here. No reams of paper, no lost manuscript, no rejections taped to the wall. Who were his heirs to let this writer’s retreat fall into ruin? What did he write? Poetry? Murder mysteries? Ghost stories of the lost at sea? Lake Superior never gives up her dead, but still, I envied him his writer’s retreat on the top of a dune.



Written for Poets and Storytellers Friday Writings, whose only stipulation is that we include the word cozy in whatever way feels right.


This is a true story. 


13 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Certainly sounds like a wonderful place to write! What an anti-climax to see that interior – but we can imagine how different it would be if it was ours.

colleen said...

This place is real whether it is real or not. You made it so.

Rajani said...

Love this piece. "no rejections taped to the wall"... made me smile! I too write in a rather stark space... hmmm :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rosemary,
I imagined myself there, no distraction other than the crashing of the waves. Heaven.

Colleen,
Thanks!!

Rajani
I used to save my rejections when they came in the mail. Email rejections aren't as cool. Thanks.

Anthony Duce said...

Had me feeling jealous of and then sad. Would love the view of the lake. Liked the isolation. But would miss a bathroom, a fridge and microwave.

Rommy said...

A writing retreat sounds like heaven. Maybe it looks shabby now, but I could imagine it feeling full of energy and warmth when someone was regularly working there.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Tony, my feelings exactly You would have loved it. I assume the facilities were close, probably just over the next dune.

Rommy,
Thanks, yeah, I'm sure it was at one time but now all I could think, was what a waste!

Helen said...

You prose fascinates ... I, too, would love to know more, much more.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thank you Helen!

Priscilla King said...

Sounds like an interesting place for a writer...

Stacy M.S. said...

Sounds like it could have been a perfect place to write! Perhaps it was once cozy and writer-like and has since been invaded by others who took or rearranged things.

purplepeninportland.com said...

I bet it was absolute heaven in its heyday.

dwru27 said...

Interesting and sad...