"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A City, A Country, A Gift

dVerse (the pub where the poets hang out) has asked for a city-inspired verse. 

Turning Down The Linen

The lost sunrise, rare coin, I now lament.

So too, its flaming slide at end of day.

I can’t escape my farm girl sentience.

Unleash me over those fields of fresh mown hay,

Not here, where brick and steel climb up the sky,

Where wren and hawk have flown a quick retreat.

Gray smoke and stacks alike tarnish surprise,

Over a city that rumbles beneath my feet.

This busy beast that swallows every sound

With clotted breath. To water’s edge I’m drawn

Where stars appear from out the black surround.

Like fields of wheat, waves undulate in song.

 

And then there’s you with power to part the night.

You turn the linens down and dim the lights.



That's the only sonnet I've ever written. Now, living where I do, I have to say this cold country sky is on fire!πŸ”₯ Streaks of crimson flood the windows, coming in from all directions, a sky made more beautiful by the dark sentinel trees and the white ground beneath. How is such a thing possible on a dark winter morn in the northern hemisphere? Window to window, I draw back the curtains. A blue jay is rocking it in the bare branches of the maple tree, and the fleeting shadow of an owl escapes over the shed. A quiet house, a cup of coffee, jays for company, a rural morning.


To go with the gift of a new day, my novel is on Barnes and Nobel!! It's also now on Amazon but somehow the B&N makes me more excited. Maybe it's the brick and mortar? I feel like they've given me an early Valentine's gift. πŸ’πŸ’˜πŸ’•  

I am also now officially a Goodreads Author.  Please consider signing up for my newsletter where I'm sharing what I've learned on this journey from idea to draft to an ISBN. I will have a drawing for signed copies from the subscriber list on April 2nd to celebrate the launch of


I'd also like to mention a new site for discovering and sharing books called Shepherd. They're awesome. I love his little staff and hat-you gotta check it out!

In looking back, I've been blogging here since 2008. I laugh at some of my first posts. (What's Under The Bed) It seems so long go. I've had some ups and downs but stuck with it. The writing has been an exercise in itself. I cringe at some of those old posts but am also proud of a few. 

In closing, I just want to say thank you to all old and new friends and followers who have been so kind and supportive. You who have been generous with sharing your own writing and expertise, especially those at dVerse and Poets and Storytellers.  I wish I could have you all over for a drink. The house is small but I'd make it work!

Over and Out,

Yvonne
Human

28 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

More congratulations. So happy for you. have enjoyed over these years reading your blog and watching the accomplishments.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thank you Tony! I have learned to appreciate the art of painting and drawing, all the different mediums, from following you.

Oloriel said...

Congratulations, on all of your good news!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Oloriel, thank you so much! It's nice to meet you

Melissa Lemay said...

I like how you’ve contrasted the city and the countryside. Your love of the country shines through.✨

robkistner said...

…unleash me over those fields of fresh mown hay,
Not here, where brick and steel climb up the sky…
I understand Yvonne… πŸ™‚✌🏼🫢🏼

brudberg said...

First of all, congratiolations on your book... a wonderful step to take. I totally agree with you... if there is water the city has a soul.

ben Alexander said...

Yvonne, your sonnet is an evocative piece that beautifully contrasts the rural serenity of a farm with the urban hustle and bustle of the city. The imagery of fields of fresh mown hay, the bustling city that "swallows every sound," and the contrast of stars appearing over water creates a vivid and sensory experience!

Much love,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com

Yvonne Osborne said...

Melissa,
Hello! And thanks so much for coming over.

Rob,
Thanks. You can see it, can't you?

Brudberg,
Thanks!! We are drawn to water, like fire. Poets especially methinks!

Yvonne Osborne said...

David,
Thank you. Love your comment on my sonnet, a form I don't often try to follow.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

sometimes poets capture the essence in the mot juste of phrases - yours is one of them:
"This busy beast that swallows every sound

With clotted breath. "

Yvonne Osborne said...

Laura!
Thank you so much. A lovely compliment. We strive so hard to do just that.

Helen said...

Your sonnet is lovely, Yvonne ... save a place for me no matter how cramped!!! I truly miss the farmland of my youth.

paeansunplugged said...

What a lovely sonnet, Yvonne! I can understand where your heart is.

Congratulations on the book.

Thanks so much for sharing the beauty of your rural surroundings .

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen,
Thanks! An empty stool beckons!

Paean, Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

Dora said...

Wow, that last couplet is just the crowning touch to a sensory-filled awakening to the contrasting scenes of town and country. And Yvonne, congratulations on your new book!!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Dora,
I am fond of the couplet too. Thanks so much and on the book... yeah finally gotta let that baby go!

imelda said...

lovely!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is an exceptional sonnet. Well done! I love the waves undulating in song, and the closing lines about the bed being turned down, the lights dimmed. Just lovely. I have noticed sunrises and sunsets this winter have been spectacular everywhere. I wonder what it signifies.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sherry,
Thank you very much. Maybe it's clearer air? I'd like to think. Cheers!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Imelda;Thank you!!!

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Congratulations on publishing your book. It sounds really good. I will add it to my reading list.

Mrityunjay Dixit said...

Great sonnet, I can relate to the desire of unleashing oneself over the fresh mown hay, beautiful!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Vanessa,
Hi! Thanks so much. I'd love that.

Mrityunjay,
Gosh thanks! And so snice to meet you. The scent of fresh baled hay is still the sweetest I've ever encountered.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Congratulations on the book, Yvonne, and the writing of this lovely sonnet.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hey there P.P! Thanks!!! Love your comment.

colleen said...

When that coin is spent I feel poor, until I too am drawn to the stars.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Colleen,
What a lovely comment. Thank you so much.