"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Saturday, February 24, 2024

The Boomerang That Came Back


As with writing, learning to throw a boomerang requires perseverance and discipline, the subject brought up this week at Poets and Storytellersthe power of discipline.  As it has an important, if 
symbolic, place in my novel, and in anticipation of my April 2nd release date, I thought I'd repost the poem I wrote back when I was first throwing the idea for a novel around in my head. (No pun intended.) 

Some of you may remember the G-Man and his Friday Flash 55 challenge to write fiction with a plot in 55 words. He inspired me to write flash poetry.  You could say, in a convoluted way, that he inspired me to write Let Evening Come.

The birth of a novel in 55 words.

Even as a child, she was drawn to the night
when the air was soft and fraught with life.
He, too, a child of twilight—
mysterious boy boomerang in his belt
Was my father’s he said,
dog circling, divining the night air.
Fingers entwined, he taught her to throw
so it would always come back.


6 comments:

Penelope Notes said...

Nicely done. One assumes a boomerang always comes back but now I see its return requires a special knack.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Penelope,
Yes, it's hard. We could never get it to come back, just lost it, to our chagrin. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Ah, I remember the G-Man. Such a nice guy.

Love your poem and what a great review. Congratulations!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Vanessa,
Yes, I think you've doing this longer than I have. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it!!

Anonymous said...

Nice intro to yourself, get to know you in 55 words. I doubt my book(s) will ever be published though if published my intro would likely be longer. An aside would be that my boomerangs never could be made to come back.
Jim,
..

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Jim!
Thanks for the comment! Love it. You never know....they say the only failed writer is the one who quits.