"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, February 9, 2024

The Flow Of Water

Waking up in the lowlands with the murmur of the teakettle, a pour-over coffee, and a ticking clock. Within a short drive of Lake Huron and a stone's throw of the creek that trickles into the Black River that flows into the big lake which rushes to the ocean. 

Contemplating this business of publishing, royalty gigs and division of the pie with so many forks, and me with nothing but words in my head, phrases and ideas, passion and pain, spinning, weaving, plotting, scheming. 

Why do I wake up in the middle of the night? Thinking about the old man on the tractor and the woman with the broken broom, the man who trekked over a mountain with his youngest on his back to stay ahead of the soldiers, and the teen who enlisted for glory only to stowaway on a boat for foreign lands. Then there's the biologist who lives in a tent and studies the die-off of amphibians, and the reporter who only wants a story but comes face to face with a second chance at love.

Beyond our yard and across the pasture there runs a creek, which flows into a river that crosses the plain and enters the ocean. Currents collide, the Labrador meets the Gulfstream to merge with the Canary to circle a globe without borders. 

One story I wrote that's out of my hands but still won't let me sleep is about an Indigenous son who lost home and family and a motherless farmgirl who is simply lost.

Which brings me to the end and mention of my favorite modern invention which Rommy at Poets and Storytellers asks us to write about. Has to be the Universal Book Link.

A coming-of-age story in times of distress available now at  Your Favorite Digital Bookstore 


16 comments:

Rommy said...

I hadn't heard of the Universal Book Link before. Can't wait to check it out.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Rommy,
Yes, very cool. Thanks for the prompt!

Rajani said...

Are those characters in the third paragraph from your published book or a new one you're writing? Very interesting!! I think the universal book link is a neat idea.. saves the author the trouble of providing links to each store!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rajani,
Those are from works-in-progress, novels and memoir. The short blurb at the end, i.e. re. an Indigenous son and coming-of-age is about the novel soon to be released. Thank you. Yes, the universal link is super.

Priscilla King said...

Is everyone going to say the Internet? I was going to say the Internet, too...

Yvonne Osborne said...

Priscilla,
The internet, or something to do with it is probably right up there. Like the universal book link (relatively new) and other means of communicating that wouldn't be possible without it.

Helen said...

WELL, I did not say the internet, so there! [LOL which I learned on the internet.] This is a beautifully written blog post, thanking you for gifting us.

Jim said...

I would like to hear of your joke about "Did you hear about the man who ... and the lady who ... , etc.
..

Marja said...

Oh wow you have a lot of fantasy You mind is spinning at night and comes up with all these amazing story ideas

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love that you are so full of story ideas! They all sound intriguing.

And thank you so much for introducing me to Universal Book Link!

rallentanda said...

Goodness !a hot milk cocoa before bed is what you need:)Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. or read Summa Theologica....same effect !:)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rall,
Hot cocoa is a given. Summa Theological?? I don't know. Thanks!

Rosemary,
Thanks! The folks at Draft2Digital are very responsive too. It's a great tool and so cool to see my Ebook on Angus & Robertson though the cover image isn't there yet.

Marja
Thanks so much. Yeah, lots of spinning. The trick is to settle on one thing at a time but at present the marketing end (angst and impatience) for Let Evening Come is taking up all my energy. Thanks for commenting.

Jim,
Pretty funny, Jim! Thanks for the inspiration:)

Helen,
Thanks!! I liked your invention better.

Magaly Guerrero said...

If you ever figure out why you wake up in the middle of the night (head full of ideas wanting to be addressed now now now!), please tell me. Better yet, tell me how to stop doing it. I do miss sleeping in my own terms.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Maybe it's worth waking up in the middle of the night, with the spinning of words and ideas coming to you. Never heard of The Universal Book Link. Will have to check it out.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Purple Pen,
Yes, check it out. The writing never leaves us. Sometimes it's a cacophony of dueling ideas and memories. Awash in words, sometimes I sit numb and frozen.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Magaly,
I think that will remain a mystery. Thanks!