"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, December 1, 2023

A Path To Publication and Preorder

THE OFFER

As those of you who are familiar with my blog know, I have long been on the winding road to publication, ever since the Indie publisher, Unsolicited Press first notified me back in September of 2021 that out of thousands of submissions, my manuscript was selected as one of 40 projects to fill out their 2023/2024 list.

From that initial euphoria to signing a contract, to multiple angst-filled edits and settling on a cover, to the gally proof I now have in hand, it has been an arduous process. But, all of a sudden things are happening. Fast!  So I come back to you with an update and the big news that Let Evening Come  is now available for pre-order! 


A BRIEF SYNOPSIS

Let Evening Come is the love story between the son of an Indigenous family displaced from their ancestral home on the Tar Sands of Canada and a motherless farm girl from Michigan who struggles to overcome loss while navigating the pitfalls of young adulthood. Together they combat suspicion and bigotry on both sides of the border and the cultural differences that separate them 



PREORDERING

Preordering helps the author like this: When you preorder a book, it seeds excitement. It tells bookstores people want this book, which makes them typically stock more copies of the book, which of course means more people see it and buy it. Not only do publishers look at preorder numbers to determine their print run, but early sales are key. Experts say the first two weeks of a book's shelf life are the most important.

So, if there is a book coming out from one of your writerly friends 😊 via traditional publishing, or one that sounds interesting and you plan to purchase it anyway, the best way to support them is to preorder.

I never used to know any of this. I never knew anything. And yes, I'm shamelessly groveling. 

I appreciate all of you who make up this vibrant blogging community and, truthfully, I would have faltered on the path if not for the ongoing encouragement and generous sharing of time, support, and ideas.

Thank you,

Yvonne

Human

(Because in these times I think that needs to be said.)

P.S. I have a newsletter sign up form on my website and there will be a drawing from the first 50 subscribers for free signed copies!! 💖💖 

P.S.S. The Friday prompt from Poets and Writers is to be inspired by Don McLean singing Starry, Starry Night, his lovely song about artist Vincent Van Gogh. There might be a heavy cloud cover overhead but it's a starry, starry night for me and I hope for you, as well.



20 comments:

Marja said...

That's awesome Yvonne Congratulations!

Jim said...

Congratulations. Lots of hard work after the writing is done, huh?
Thanks for the tidbits too, if I ever complete anything worth publishing.
Makes me appreciate more those who do finish and publish.
..

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh wow! Congratulations!!! Kudos to you for being chosen in the first place, and hooray for having arrived at this point.

Having gone the self-publishing route myself, I am still trying to figure out how to enable people to order my books through my website. The technology is a bit of a challenge to me.

(I have now enabled commenting on said website, btw.)

I'll be very happy to pre-order yours. (Smile.)

Debi Swim said...

Congrats, Yvonne. That's a lot of hard but rewarding work.

Rajani said...

Congratulation, Yvonne... How wonderful it must be to see it in print after all the anticipation! I remember holding my first book in my hands...an emotional journey!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Debi,
Thanks! The hard work (labor of love) is worth it, though I still prefer writing to marketing. But I guess the latter must be done if the former is to succeed. We want to be read; we fear to be read.

Rajai
Thank you. Oh....to finally hold it in my hands? That will be an emotional meltdown!!

Helen said...

So exciting!! Wishing you a ton of luck with the book ... I pre-ordered.

rallentanda said...

Congratulations Yvonne. good luck with everything !

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen, thank you so much!! I hope you like it. I can say, the angst never ends with a publication date. It just grows and grows and grows..... So it's such a comfort to have support from folks like yourself. xoxo

Rallentanda,
Thank you! Thanks for commenting and always being present.

jossina said...

Congratulations Yvonne, best wishes

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Congratulations, Yvonne. What wonderful news. Awesome to have your manuscript chosen among so many. It looks wonderful! Soon it will be out in the world and in your hands. It is an amazing feeling to hold one's own book in our hands. Well done!

Mary said...

Congratulations! Wishing you well on publication.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Mary, Thank you very much!

Sherry,
Thank you!! I'm pretty happy with the cover but I never stop being nervous about everything!

Jossina,
Hi! And thank you so much.

Liza said...

Congratulations Yvonne. This is wonderful news.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Liza!!

Thank you so much. It's great to see you, one of my oldest blogging buds. We go back, don't we? I'm also happy to see you still writing.

scotthastiepoet said...

Great news Yvonne - always good to see another new impassioned writer pushing through. Your narrative sounds compelling... And you must be thrilled that it is all FINALLY happening. These things do take time... Let me know if I can help you in any way promoting the book...

Regards

Scott

purplepeninportland.com said...

Congratulations, Yvonne! So exciting. I wish you many readers.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Purple Pen, Thank you! That's the nicest wish of all.

Melissa said...

I preordered mine! Can't wait. xo

Yvonne Osborne said...

Melissa,
Thank you!! How lovely to see a comment from you here.xoxoxoxo