"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Pet Peeve #3 December Rain

 

The Pet Peeve #3


December rains flood the bird feeders—how will they eat?—but doesn’t wash the blood off my porch, the carnage scattered from door to window; tuffs of fur, a chewed-off leg, entrails, a tail. My dear husband cleaned it up with his shop broom and what all. But what, you ask, does this have to do with the rain the rain, the rain?

It’s my opinion that if it were snow falling gently from these iron-gripped skies to pile up in fluffy banks around the porch, drifts swirling and forming barriers along the drive, then perhaps these nocturnal creatures, whatever they are, would eat their dinner in their riverbank burrows, cubbyholes, and woody enclaves, (I want no Invitation to the Party!) instead of spreading it across my front porch for the UPS and Fed Ex guys to look at askance, as at the scene of a murder, checking the soles of their boots before climbing back in their trucks.

So, call it what you want: global warming, climate change, or normal fluctuations in weather patterns, I want my winters back. I want the cardinals and the juncos to flit among snow-laden boughs instead of flapping their wings like ducks in the newly formed ponds where there was once a yard. And I don't want dead things on my doorstep.


For Poets and Storytellers and their Seasonal Writings, asking us to include the title of a book we're reading this December in a piece of poetry or prose. An Invitation to The Party  was a perfect fit!


16 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Yikes! I'm glad we have true winters still - I don't need that kind of carnage on the deck!!
Wishing you some of the fluffy stuff!

Debi Swim said...

We don't have the snowy winters like we used to. 60 degrees here today and tomorrow in DECEMBER! Hopefully by Christmas it will be white.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jemi,
You are fortunate then. My husband says we should move north but I say those Canadians don't want us!! Thanks

Debi,
Yup, exactly right. The weather people on the tv gush about the 60plus degrees cause their heads are stuck in quicksand. Or else they're too young to even remember true winter. Thanks!!

scotthastiepoet said...

I share your earnest desire about this too, Yvonne. Here on the south coast of the UK, we are fortunate to avoid most of the severe weather events that plague so many others round the planet - though, that said, all our seasons here seem to be merging into one! For us soulful poets and nature lovers especially, It's just got to be written about and you've done it... Bravo! and Thank you...

Yvonne Osborne said...

Scott, You're right about the merging of the seasons. Thank you very much for commenting.

Rajani said...

The weather is changing and will change even faster, the way we're going about handling climate change. Sigh. I do hope you get the white Christmas you wish for. Here, we've just recorded the hottest day in December, ever. :(

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

So different from my landscape! I love to read writings from America about a natural world that includes creatures strange to me. I have visited America and do know what cardinals are, but juncos are mysterious; I'll Google them eventually, but for now it's nice to imagine.... I like being given a sense of your home.

Priscilla King said...

Cold weather means more, not fewer, sad little bodies on the ground around here. When it's really cold the birds and animals that normally spend winters here may freeze. But snow can't be far away. It's been a very warm year but some think it may bounce back into a really cold January.

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoyed this very much. Has me embrace and even look forward to these now winter months.

Helen said...

In my life, many dead things have been placed (from love and devotion I know) from the cats I have collected. You have a style of writing that is so enjoyable, even when the subject matter is not.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen,
I suspected the cat, ours or the neighbors but hate to cast blame. Thank you very much for your support and uplifting words.

Anthony,
Thank you. Yes the lousy weather thus far has me yearning for winters of old. Sigh....I'm afraid it isn't going to happen.

Priscilla,
I hope you're right! We need a good long freeze to kill off the insects.

Rosemary,
I enjoy knowing about what's going on "down there" too. Juncos are in the sparrow family but much prettier, snow white bellies and soft gray backs. Thanks!

Rajani,
Thanks for commenting!

jossina said...

Another vehement cry calling for attention to nature, very well done

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm right there with you. I hear people around my bit of the world celebrating "the good weather/the mild weather", and I just look at my potted plants in the balcony--blooming in December--and I cringe.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jossina,
Thank you so much!! Another cry in the wilderness with nobody listening (it feels like).

Magaly,
Exactly. Thank you.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Great poem, Yvonne. Send me no invitations!

Yvonne Osborne said...

PurplePen, Got it! Thanks