"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Monday, December 18, 2023

The Likeness

A Ghost Story   Molly grasped the railing for balance. In the dim of the hallway light, the family portraits that lined the stairwell hung curiously ajar. She straightened her grandmother and descended the stairs, realizing they'd all been moved.

Perplexed, she hung them back where they belonged. The next night it happened again—ancestors jostling for position. Only her baby picture remained unmoved, the curly-headed likeness gazing intently at the camera. Then, on the morning of the shortest day, they were stacked at the bottom of the stairs. Hand to her throat she stared at the only one still hanging by a nail.

__________

In keeping with an old British tradition of telling spooky stories right before Christmas, I wrote this 100-word story for Loren Eaton's Advent Ghosts storytelling event at I Saw Lightning Fall. 

__________

For Christmas present..... my novel, Let Evening Come is available for preorder.  (I actually have an ISBN which made me as giddy as old Scrooge on Christmas morning!) The description and bio is now up on the publisher's site.

Thanks to all and a happy winter solstice (the joyful return of the sun) and loving holiday season to all. Especially to all the poets and writers at The Storytellers. Now for a brandy ball, a snort, and a little fresh snow.

Yvonne

yvonneosborne.com


19 comments:

colleen said...

Spooky!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks Colleen!! This is a actually "loosely" based on fact (my sister's).

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoyed. Wanting to solve the mystery now.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Anthony,
Should I say to be continued? Or as of yet, unsolved? Thanks!!

Rommy said...

I love the spooky story Christmas tradition! More, I say!

The Creative said...

Very well done, Yvonne, I enjoyed it. Creepy!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rommy,
I agree, a different kind of tradition, eh? Thanks!!

Creative,
Thanks and nice to meet you too!!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rommy,
I agree, a different kind of tradition, eh? Thanks!!

The Creative,
Thanks and nice to meet you too!!

Ben Mann said...

I'm picking up something like the spooky ambiguity of the X-Files, but very compact and succinct. I hope your Christmas is more joyful than Molly's!

Rajani said...

Oh now I want to know the rest of the story!!!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Ben,
Thank you so much! Molly is not having a good time. Smiles.

Rajani,
Thanks! The end is unforeseen. Unless I make something up:)

Rhonda Parrish said...

...and then? :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rhonda,
Thanks! I'm glad you asked :)

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love this spooky kittle cliff-hanger, and hope you expand on it eventually.

Congratulations on the book publication!

Loren Eaton said...

This reminds me a LOT of M.R. James' British ghost stories. Well done!

Patrick N. said...

Note to self: avoid this stairwell like you avoided a similar stairwell at grandma's house. Did it just get cooler in the room, or is it just me?

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rosemary,
Thank you so much. This little cliff-hanger will be on my back burner to expand upon. So much to write....so little time. Happy Holidays.

Loren,
Thank you! I'm not familiar with MR James but I think this must be a compliment! Thank you so much for hosting this unique little gathering. Merry Christmas!

Patrick,
Hi! Wow, you've hit that old nail on the head. It definitely got colder. Thanks for pointing it out. I actually don't like the old stairwell at Grandma's house. Cheers!

purplepeninportland.com said...

Excellent eerie!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Purple Pen, Thanks!!!!