"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, March 22, 2024

A Dead Man’s Pockets

As sand falls from a sand dollar
on a windowsill miles from the seashore,
so do you at day’s end empty your pockets
of where you’ve been.

The seasons of the year left their trace

on you

til there was nothing

to drop on the dresser but lint in the folds of your hanky.

 

Leaves weighted by rain drop from a gunmetal sky,

swirl and land on the freshly dug grave,

the mound of dirt unsettled and coarse,

 

unlike your face clean-shaven on the blade of the mortician.

Lids drawn over the sterling blue eyes,

tie straightened and mouth closed,

tight-lipped, as our father never was.

 

The mouth isn’t right, my sister whispered

as the kneeler wobbled under our connected sorrow.

I checked his pockets, like a child for a coin,

climbing on a lap, cool, deep, and empty.



For Poets and Storytellers United Friday Writings: In Memoriam 


Publishing Note:

A Dead Man's Pockets appeared in the 2021 Slippery Elm Literary Journal

20 comments:

Penelope Notes said...

Poignant and so vividly written that death came to life.

Anthony Duce said...

So enjoyed. Very visual.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Penelope,
Thank you very much.

Tony,
Thank you!

Rommy said...

All of the imagery is so vivid and so heartbreaking.

Debi Swim said...

Visceral and yet tender.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Heart-breaking write that made me so sad.

I do so understand your thoughts and feelings when viewing your dad after death as I felt the same of my father-in-law. It wasn't him.

I am ?comfortable being with a loved one when they die, but would never view them once in the funeral home.

Much love,
Anna

Priscilla King said...

Not surprised that this one appeared in a literary journal. It's good.

(Somewhat surprised, though, by the way some versions of Blogspot recognize me and other versions don't.)

PK

Yvonne Osborne said...

Rommy,
Thanks so much.

Debi,
Thank you. It was hard to write.

Anna,
Thank you so much. It really wasn't him. Why do we do that to ourselves? I want a green burial!

Priscilla,
Gosh, Thanks!! As to Blogger imps, I have no idea but I'm glad they recognize you!

Marja said...

Very moving but it also gives some chills as he didn't look as he really was
I love that last line 'climbing on a lap, cool, deep, and empty'

Jim said...

A nice voyage to the end of something that was once living.
Congratulations on getting this one published.
..

Yvonne Osborne said...

Marja,
Thank you for commenting. I remember how warm his pockets were.

Jim,
Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

alan1704 said...

Thank you for this poem, i was really touched by its tender words and your heart. Well done.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Alan,
Thanks. I'm happy you liked it. It was written a long time ago.

dsnake1 said...

This is such a really moving poem, the details in the imagery so vivid, so real. This poem should be in an anthology about loss and grief, or its own book publication.
It also reminds me about my father. He was on his way for his cup of coffee when he was seized by a heart attack. When we found him, he was clutching a $10 note in his hand. Perhaps he was trying to grab his medication, but it was too late.

PS : Yes, I saw the poem's publication in a literary journal. It should.

Yvonne Osborne said...

dsnake,
Thank you so much for your lovely comment. That would be an interesting anthology. Sadly, it seems much of my writing would fit the bill. I'm sorry to hear about your father. It's never easy, this human condition.

RÔ - MEU DIÁRIO said...

Vou aproveitar para seguir seu blog, mas olha, se você quiser, pode me seguir também.
Um beio, viu!!!!

vanderloost said...

"Empty your pockets of where you have been". We all have to empty our pockets. Won't we ?

Yvonne Osborne said...

Vanderoost,
Yes, so true. thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Ro, thanks!

purplepeninportland.com said...

This was so vivid, and well written.