"Two wrongs may not make a right but a thousand wrongs make a writer.”

Friday, March 8, 2024

She Took Venice

She bought a sarong in Venice where everyone is beautiful
though the surf smells and seagulls scour the tideline.
All along the shore the ocean unfurls its soul.

Beer with salty clams to peel, dip, and swallow.
The bar faces the ocean with a poolroom where poets rhyme.
She bought a sarong in Venice where everyone is beautiful.

One size fits all with three ways to fold, wrap, and tie.
In Venice, where guitarists skate the boulevard
all along the shoreline the ocean unfurls its soul.

Sea birds ply ocean weed, piles of shell, and salty form.
Bougainvillea drapes the cafes. She collects all she finds.
She bought a sarong in Venice where everyone is beautiful.

She took the ocean home - salt, shells and sun coils.
Maybe he'll come over with a hank of garden lettuce or another sign.
Because all along the shoreline the ocean uncurled its soul.

On the whisper of her sarong she crosses the wooden floor
and watches him cut grass, sun on his shoulders, tasting salty brine.
She bought a sarong in Venice where everyone is beautiful
and all along the shoreline the ocean unfurls its soul.




Tasked with the challenge from Poets & Storytellers to write a poem about a sensual piece of clothing, I immediately thought of a  trip to Venice Beach where the beach was littered with what the ocean didn't need, where sarongs were as popular as sun hats and, yes, where everyone was beautiful.


18 comments:

alan1704 said...

Love the lines from the beginning repeated at the end. It really works, you feel you are there. Well done.

Rajani said...

Romance and Venice and a sarong definitely need a Villanelle...!!!! A potent mix!

Helen said...

Not only does the the ocean unfurls its soul ~~ so does the sarong, my dear.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Helen, you made me laugh! Yes, the sarong does indeed come unfurled.:)

Rajani,
Thanks! I agree, the subject was a natural for the villanelle.

Alan,
Thank you! I wish I was there again right now!


Priscilla King said...

Now this is a sensuous poem about clothing.

Jim said...

I think that all "along the shoreline the ocean unfurls its soul" are jealous of her.
..

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, this villanelle is gorgeous! But I'm glad of your notes as I was thinking all the way through of the Italian Venice and was a bit puzzled, not able to place sarongs there. Venice Beach USA makes a lot more sense. (And the sarong is my own favourite summer wear.)

vanderloost said...

Sarong denotes freedom from ever tight fit including our social roles!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Vanderloost,
Yes, freedom comes in many colors and folds if we are to escape societal roles. Thanks for commenting!

Rosemary,
Thank you! I didn't even think of the other Venice, having never been there, but on a more global scale I can see where Venice Italy is better known, so I'm glad I added the footnote. Thanks for the prompt and I agree, nothing can make us feel sexier and freer than a sarong!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Priscilla,
Thanks!

Jim,
Smiles.....thanks for commenting.

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoyed the escape, and long ago visit.

Brother Ollie said...

I was enjoying a beer as I read your poem. Good timing.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Anthony,
Thanks!!

Ollie,
Sounds good to me too! Thanks.

Rommy said...

I've never been to either Venice, LOL. But you definitely set the scene well, reminding me of days spent by the NJ shore. Not everyone in Wildwood is pretty though.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Rommy!
Thanks! Funny, about Wildwood. The Venice Beach scene just casts everyone in a better light.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Love teh way you repeated the line through this poem. A lovely cadence.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi J Cosmo!!
Lovely to meet you and now I want a glass of wine. Ahh, better settle for coffee as the sun has barely cleared the horizon. Thank you for commenting!! The villanelle has always been a favorite of mine. The trick is finding a line that bears repeat.

purplepeninportland.com said...

The repetitive lines work so beautifully here, Yvonne!